SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK TEN
THEME 2: YOU AND ENERGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: BASIC ELECTRICITY II
- The Flow of Electric Current
- Conductors and Non-Conductors
- Sources of Electricity
- Component of a Circuit
- Uses of Electricity
At the end of this Topic, Pupils should be able to:
- Recognize electricity as a source of energy.
- Explain how electricity is generated and used
- Examine how electricity travels from one place to another.
- Group materials into conductors (metal) and non-conductors (wood, glass).
- Make a simple electric circuit connection.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
THE FLOW OF ELECTRIC CURRENT
Electricity is the flow of current from one point to another point.
CONDUCTOR AND INSULATOR
Conductors are objects or materials that allow electricity to pass through them e.g. metallic materials like nail, silver wire, copper wire, aluminum wire.
Insulators are object that do not allow current to pass through them. Examples are wood, plastics, glass, rubber band and non-metallic insulator.
SOURCES OF ELECTRICITY
Electricity can be generated from the following sources:
- Friction – Use of Galvanometer
- Magnetic – Use of Magnets
- Chemical Source – using Electrolyte
- Hydro Electric
- use of Gas
COMPONENT OF A CIRCUIT
ELECTRIC CIRCUIT: An electric circuit is a pathway or a complete circle through which an electric current passes.
The component of an electric circuit are as follows:
- Fuse: is a safety device used to control the amount of electricity that can pass through a point.
- Switch: it is used to control electric current by enabling you to put off (stop) or put on (allow) light or current flow.
- Lamp etc.
USES OF ELECTRICITY
- Electricity gives us light.
- Electricity helps us in generating heat.
- It makes our home appliances work
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is electric circuit?
- What are conductor and insulator?
- List the two conductors and insulator.
- State two uses of electricity.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.