SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK SEVEN
THEME 2: YOU AND ENERGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: HEAT AND TEMPERATURE
- Meaning of Heat and Temperature
- Difference between heat and temperature
- Types of Thermometer
At the end of this Topic, Pupils should be able to:
- Distinguish Between heat and Temperature.
- Identify and name different types of thermometer
- Identify and write the units and symbols of temperature Scale
- Use the thermometer to measure the temperature of object accurately.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Warm and cold water
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
MEANING OF HEAT AND TEMPERATURE
Heat is a form of energy. It is not the same as temperature and it is very useful in our daily activities, it flow from one place to another because of the difference in temperature in the two places.
Temperature is the degree of hotness or coldness of the body. Like when you touch hot water, you will fill hot and when you touch cold water or ice, you will feel cold. When the body is hot our temperature is high and when the body is cold, our temperature is low. Temperature unit is degree Celsius or kelvin (k). Temperature varies from 1 to 2 °F or ½ to 1 °C. Human temperature is usually lower in the morning and increases during the day. It reaches its high in the late afternoon or evening
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEAT AND TEMPERATURE
- Heat is a form of energy while Temperature is a property of an object.
- Heat causes change in degree of Temperature while Temperature is the heat generated.
- Heat unit of measurement is joule (j) while Temperature unit of measurement is degree Celcius (°C) or Kelvin(K) or Fahrenheit(°F).
- Heat is obtained from solar energy while Temperature is obtained when a substance is heated or cool.
- Heat is the change that flows while Temperature determines the direction of heat flow.
Thermometer is the standard instrument used to measure temperature of an object. It is the most trusted way to measure temperature.it is used in the hospital, laboratory, and weather station and so on. The human normal body temperature is 37.0°C or about 98.6 °F.
TYPES OF THERMOMETER
There are many types of thermometer. They are:
- The Liquid in glass thermometer
- Maximum and Minimum thermometer.
- Clinical thermometer –used in hospital to measure body temperature.
- Digital thermometer: used to measure temperature with electronic sensor.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
Learners are asked:
- To Define Heat.
- What is Temperature?
- State the unit of heat and Temperature
- List three Forms of energy conversion.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.