SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK FOUR
THEME: YOU AND TECHNOLOGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
TIME: 40 MINUTES
- Meaning of Maintenance
- Importance of Maintenance
- Some ways of Maintenance and Materials Needed
At the end of this Topic, Pupils should be able to:
- Explain the Meaning of Maintenance.
- List the type f maintenance
- state the need for maintenance
- Cello tape
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
Maintenance is the way we take care of our things in order to serve us longer. Such things must be done properly and at all times. Like cleaning our belongings, oiling our bicycle, painting our houses, wrapping of books with paper.
TYPES OF MAINTENANCE
- Preventive Maintenance: they are carried out to prevent breaking down of equipment e.g. cleaning, washing, dusting, lubricating, servicing.
- Corrective Maintenance: they are carried out to replace or repair a broken-down equipment. Repair of car in the mechanic workshop.
IMPORTANCE OF MAINTENANCE
- It makes our properties last longer
- It helps in making our equipment work properly
- It help in preventing accidents
- It make our equipment beautiful
- It prevent breakdowns
- It prevent delays
SOME WAYS OF MAINTENANCE
- REMOVAL OF COBWEBS
SOME MATERIALS USED FOR MAINTENANCE
- Scrubbing brush
- Screw drivers
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is Maintenance?
- List three types of maintenance
- State why maintenance is necessary.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
- List three house-hold items that can be maintained.
- List three school items that can be explained.
- State three ways of maintaining household items.