TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: SECOND TERM
THEME: LIVING AND NON LIVING THINGS
WEEK: WEEK 8
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Identify and classify rocks according to colour, hardness, texture, etc.
- List some important uses of rocks such as construction and beautification.
- Name some major landmark rocks in Nigeria.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures rocks.
- Explanatory videos on domestic rocks.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: organic,materials.
Rocks are solid matters, they are made up of minerals and some organic matters. They are found in different shapes and sizes. Rocks are breakdown into small stones and pebbles by the action of sun, rains and chemicals.
TYPES OF ROCK
Rocks are classified into three groups based on how they are formed.
- IGNEOUS ROCK
Igneous rock is formed when hot molten materials inside the earth leaks to the surface and later cool. This hot molten materials inside the earth surface is known as lava. When it escapes to the surface of the earth, the lava solidified to form igneous rocks. This usually occurs when there is a crack on top layer of the earth surface. The crack on the top layer of the earth is called volcano. Igneous rock are therefore called fire formed. They can be light or dark in colour. Examples of igneous rocks are basalt and granite.
CHARACTERISTICS OF IGNEOUS ROCKS
- They are very hard
- They are glassy in nature
- They don’t form in layers
- SEDIMENTARY ROCK
This is the most common form of rock found in earth surface. They are formed when igneous rocks are broken down by the action of wind and water. Silt, sand and pebbles formed from breaking down of igneous rock are settle down in layers and formed sedimentary rocks. They also contain plant and animal dead body decay know as fossil. Examples of sedimentary rocks are shale, slate, coal, limestone, sand stone etc.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SEDIMENTARY ROCKS
- They are stratified(they form in layers)
- They contain both plants and animals
- They formed from broken down of igneous rocks.
- METAMORPHIC ROCK
These are kinds of rocks that formed by changes in sedimentary or igneous rock.
These changes are caused by heat, pressure or chemical action below the earth surface. Examples of metamorphic rocks are slate and marble.
CHARACTERISTICS OF METAMORPHIC ROCKS
- They are formed from changes in igneous or sedimentary rocks.
- They are soft rocks used in construction of roads.
USES OF ROCK
- Rocks also serve as source of tourism.
- Minerals like gold, iron, and silver are obtained from rocks.
- Airports are also build from rocks.
- Rock is also used in cement manufacturing e.g. limestone’s is used in making cement.
- Rocks are used in bridge construction.
- Sedimentary rock is as coal is useful as fuel.
- Mable’s from metamorphic rock is used in making tiles and also decorating materials.
- They are used for building houses, schools, hotels, hospital etc.
CHARACTERISTICS AND CONSTITUENTS OF ROCKS
- Rocks are non- living solid objects.
- They are in vary size, colour, shapes and texture.
- Different rock s are formed under varying pressures and condition.
ROCKS IN NIGERIA
There are many rocks in Nigeria and their locations are:
- Aso Rock found in Abuja. The seat of Nigeria Government is named after the rocks.
- Olumo rock is found in Abeokuta, Ogun state.
- Zuma rock in suleja, Niger state.it is a human- like face carved on its surface. It is a tourist attraction.
- Shares hills rock founds in jos, plateau state.it serves as a leadership training site for young Nigerians.
- Kufena rock found in Zaria, Kaduna state.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson ( WATER CYCLE AND RAIN FORMATION ).
- The teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (Rock).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Identify and classify rocks according to colour, hardness, texture.
- List some three important uses of rocks such as construction and beautification.
- Name three major landmark rocks in Nigeria.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: WATER CYCLE AND RAIN FORMATION
NEXT LESSON: Acid and Bases