SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 3
THEME: YOU AND TECHNOLOGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
TIME: 40 MINUTES
- Meaning of Safety
- Meaning of accident
- Causes of Accident
- Prevention of Accidents
- Some safety Devices
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Define Safety.
- State the causes of accident.
- List the safety rules to prevent accident
- Hand glove
- Protective sun glass
- Safety boot
- Pull Over
- Fire extinguisher
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
DEFINITION OF SAFETY
Safety is when there is no possible danger or harm around us. That is Safety are rules or things put in place to avoid injury or accidents in our schools, workshop and our homes
CAUSES OF ACCIDENT
What is accident? Accidents are the events that make us get injured. Accident are caused by not obeying safety rules.
Causes of accidents are:
- Stepping on sharp object like nail, broken bottle etc.
- Use of laboratory Machine without necessary guide
- Unsafe working condition like working without safety tools.
- Unsafe practice by workshop users
- Dropping of Banana peel on the floor
- Lifting heavy load
- Jumping a high fence
- Playing with lighted stove, gas, candle
- Playing with sharp objects like knife, scissor
- Careless with hot water
OBJECT THAT CAUSES ACCIDENT
- ELECTRIC IRON
PREVENTION OF ACCIDENT
- Keep our environment clean and tidy
- Keep sharp tools in a safe place
- Put on laboratory coat when necessary
- Avoid keeping sharp tools like blade, needle in your pocket.
- Do not run around with sharp objects in your hand
- Report injury immediately
- By being careful
- By not being too playful
SOME SAFETY DEVICES
Safety devices are materials use when working to protect ourselves from accident. Some of the safety devices are:
- Nose masks
- Laboratory coats
- Eye goggles
- Fire extinguishers
- Sand bucket
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is The Meaning of Safety?
- List three causes of accident.
- Mention three items that can be found in a first aid box.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.