TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
SUBJECT: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
THEME: PROCESSES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 5
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: SAFETY MEASURES IN APPLYING CHEMICALS
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to know about:
- The safety measures in applying chemicals.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Samples of soil
- Whiteboard/ Chalkboard
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with materials needed for growing crop.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools.
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Agricultural Science (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Agricultural Science Scheme of Work
- Edudelight Agricultural Science for Primary Schools.
WORD FILE: chemicals, pesticides.
SAFETY MEASURES IN APPLYING CHEMICALS
- Avoid using bare hand when mixing chemicals.
- Make use of back pack with your mouth and face covered.
- Put on protective clothing like gloves.
- Don’t use your mouth or teeth to open a chemical bottle.
- Do not blow the nozzle of the sprayer when it is blocked.
- Avoid eating, smoking or drinking when working with pesticides.
- Do not allow the chemical to come in contacts with your skin.
- Observe the direction of the wind when spraying.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after the applying chemicals on plants.
- Take a full baths after applying chemicals on plants.
- If you don’t feel well after working with chemicals, see a doctor immediately.
DANGERS INVOLVED IN EXCESSIVE USE OF CHEMICALS
- It will change the colour of the crops.
- It may kill the crops.
- It can destroy the useful living things in the soil like earthworm.
- It can be washed away into streams and rivers thereby killing fishes and other living things in the water.
- It can lead to air pollution.
- It can lead to water pollution.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (MATERIALS NEEDED FOR GROWING CROP).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (SAFETY MEASURES IN APPLYING CHEMICALS).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion.
- Mention three safety measures when applying chemicals.
- Mention four dangers when chemical is applied on plants excessively.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: MATERIALS NEEDED FOR GROWING CROP
NEXT LESSON: DANGERS INVOLVED IN EXCESSIVE USE OF CHEMICALS