TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON SOCIAL STUDIES
SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 6
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: THE CONCEPT OF STATE GOVERNMENT
At the end of this Unit, Pupils should be able to know:
- What is the state government?
- Who controls the state Government?
- The importance of state government.
- Benefit of state Government.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- National identity card
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Questions and Answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary school.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Social Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Edudelight Social Studies TextBooks for Primary Schools
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with local Government.
WORD FILE: government, federal, Excellence, commissioners.
What is state government? State government is the second level of government in Nigeria. It is the government that control the local government areas under the state. It is the government next in power to the federal Government. So, it is bigger than local government area. The head of a state government is the GOVERNMENT. The motto of Lagos state is Centre of Excellence.
THE THREE LEVELS (TIERS) OF GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA
- Federal government
- State government
- Local government
PEOPLE THAT MAKES UP THE STATE GOVERNMENT
- Deputy Government.
- Secretary to the government.
- Directors – General.
- Members of the legislature.
- Members of the Judiciary.
The head of a state government is the GOVERNOR. The vice is the deputy governor, followed by commissioners that are appointed to head different ministries. The governor is elected into office by the people in this state through voting.
THE ARMS OF THE STATE GOVERNMENT
The arms of the state government area:
- The executive: this comprises of the governor, the deputy governor, the commissioners, the secretaries to the state government, the permanent secretaries, and the special advisers.
- The legislature; this comprises of members of the house of assembly.
- The judiciary; it is headed by judges and magistrates that presides over cases at law court.
HOW THE STATE GOVERNMENT PROVIDES FOR THE NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE
The state government performs the following functions.
- Agriculture: help farmer to increase the amount of food production by providing them with fertilizers.
- Education: provides finance for education in secondary school, polytechnics, college and universities belonging to the state.
- Health: provides hospitals, clinics and maternity homes.
- Works and utilities: provides good road, water, build and maintained state road.
- Trade and industries: they provides the need for its citizens, provides jobs for people who are unemployed.
- Judiciary: they maintain laws and order through the ministry of Justice.
- Protection of lives and properties.
CONFLICT BETWEEN THE STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- Inadequate funds from the federal government to carry out their responsibilities.
- When the local government refuse to manage it area
- When there is too much control from the state government to the local government.
- Failure of the state government to give what is due to the local government authority
- Religion differences
- Ethnic differences
- Political party differences
- Problems of electricity supply and bad road
HOW TO PROMOTE COOPERATION BETWEEN COOPERATION BETWEEN THE STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- There should be peace and order in the state.
- Ensure people in the local Government pay their taxes, levies etc.
- Political party differences should be put aside.
- state government should give what is due to the local government authority
- State Government should reduce its excessive control over the local government authorities.
- The local government should be allowed to do their duties.
- Proper management of area should be ensure by the chairman of the local Government.
- Funds allocated to the local government and state Government should be used wisely and accounted for.
- Religion differences should be put aside.
BENEFITS OF COOPERATION BETWEEN LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENT
Cooperation brings about:
- Progress and development in the state
- Bring harmony within the state and the citizen of the state.
- Goals and objectives of the state and local government will be met.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (THE CONCEPT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (THE CONCEPT OF STATE GOVERNMENT)
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- What is the state government?
- Who controls the public affair of the state Government?
- Mention four importance of the state government
- List four Benefit of state Government.
- Who is the chairman of your state Government?
- Write the name of your state government
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: THE CONCEPT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
NEXT LESSON: DIVISION OF LABOUR