SUBJECT: COMPUTER STUDIES
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 5
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: THE DESKTOP
- Meaning of the Desktop
- Wall Paper
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to know:
- Meaning of the Desktop
- Identify Desktop
- Recognize Wall Paper
TEACHINNG AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers.
- The Students will be taken to the Computer laboratory for practice
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC) Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Computer studies Scheme of work
- Online Materials.
Computer Studies for Primary Schools
THE COMPUTER DESKTOP
The Desktop is the main screen that we see after turning on the computer and logging on to windows. Sometimes we save our files on desktop. Also when we click an application or a folder it opens on the desktop.
A computer Desktop have a start button, a task bar, program icons and mouse pointer.
A wallpaper is the image used as a computer desktop background. It is the picture you see that cover the entire computer desktop after booting up the computer. You can also use your own picture as your wallpaper. Wall paper can also be called desktop background, desktop wallpaper, desktop picture, and desktop image.
Note: A wallpaper is different from a screen saver.
A screen saver is the moving image that appears when the computer is ON and the user is not using the computer.
CONTENT ON THE DESKTOP
On the computer desktop, there are content that you will see. These are:
- Icons and Bars
- Recycle Bin
- My Computer
- My Document
- Star Button
- Task Bar
- Control panel
FUNCTIONS OF ICONS ON THE COMPUTER DESKTOP
The Taskbar is at the bottom edge of the Desktop. It display the start menu and other programs or files that are open or currently running. The computer can also be turn off using the task bar.
Recycle Bin keeps files that way deleted by the user.so that the person can delete the file permanently or restore the file back if he or she is in need of the file.
My computer icon gives access to the resources on the computer. Resources such as hard disk drive, cd drive, Universal Serial Bus (usb) drive, folders.
The internet explorer icons is used as a browser to access the internet.
My document is used to access different documents or files in the computer. Files like videos, music, pictures.
WHAT IS A FOLDER?
Folder contains list of files that are stored in the computer hard disk
HOW TO CREATE A FOLDER
A folder can be created on the desktop or in a sub folder.
The following are steps on how to create a folder on the desktop using windows 7 operating system.
- using your mouse or touch pad
- Right click on an empty area of the desktop (not on an icon)
- From the context menu, click on “New“
- Choose “Folder” inside the New submenu
- Give the new folder a name.
- Press Enter button to save the name
Create a folder or sub folder inside other folders
- Open a folder
- Right-click on an empty area of the folder, and choose “New“
- Then, click on “Folder” inside the New submenu
- Or you can
- Click on the “New folder”
button in Windows Explorer’s toolbar.
The button will display a “Create a new, empty folder” tooltip.
- Type a new name for the folder after Windows 7 creates it, and hit Enter button to accept the name.
HOW TO OPEN A FOLDER
- Locate the folder, you want to open
- Right click on the folder and select “Open” Or
- You Double click on the folder using left click of the mouse or touchpad.
HOW TO CLOSE THE FOLDER
- Click On the “X” Icon At The Top Right Side Of The Dialog Box
HOW TO DELETE A FILE OR FOLDER
To delete a file or a folder
- First, navigate to the folder (or desktop) where the file or folder is
- You can now delete the file/ folder in two ways: either with the mouse or with a keyboard shortcut.
- Right-click on the file/folder to delete, and choose “Delete” from the context menu
- To prevent accidental deletions, Windows 7 will first give you a confirmation message:
- To delete the file or folder in question, click on the “Yes” button, and Windows will put the file or folder inside the Recycle Bin.
HOW TO COPY FILES OR FOLDER
Follow these steps to bypass the clipboard and make copies of a folder or files: (or multiple folders)
- First, locate the file or folder of which you want to create copies: either they are on the desktop, or they are inside another folder
- Then select each item until they are all selected
- Once all files/folders are selected, hold down the control key on your keyboard (“Ctrl”), and keep it pressed down. Now, drag these files and drop them where you want a copy to be made: this can be on your desktop, in another folder, or inside the same folder that contains the originals.
- Drop the files onto their destination folder: Windows 7 will create a copy of every file that was selected, and you can now release the Ctrl key.
- Windows 7 will create a copy of each selected file/folder, and has automatically selected the copies that were created: this means that you can now use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+X to cut all files and place them on the clipboard (which kind of defeats the purpose of this technique of making copies of files), or simply drag them manually to the destination folder of your choice.
- This is all it takes to make copies of files and folders in Windows 7 without the clipboard.
HOW TO SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER
Shutting down a computer when not in use, is a safety measure and it saves some energy.
To shut down a computer
- Close all open windows or files
- Click on the start menu and
- Select the shutdown button
- Wait for the screen to turn blank.
- Turn off the monitor
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
CONCLUSION: the teacher sum up the lesson.
- Meaning of the Desktop
- Differentiate between Desktop and Wall Paper