TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON SOCIAL STUDIES
SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
THEME: THE FAMILY
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
At the end of this discussion in this Module, children should be able to know:
- Meaning of culture diversity and unity.
- Custom and traditions dressing styles.
- Retainable custom.
- Changeable custom.
- Reasons for change.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools
- Lagos State Scheme of Work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Social Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Edudelight Social Studies TextBooks for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with other people in the family.
WORD FILE: particular, traditions, languages.
CONTENT OF THE MODULE
CULTURE is the way of life of a particular community or people. That is their traditions, customs, beliefs, their languages, art and mode of dressing.
UNITY is the quality of being united into one.
DIVERSITY means differences.
UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY is the way people can be united despite our cultural differences.
CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS OF VARIOUS PEOPLE
The following are some of the customs and traditions of people in Nigeria:
- Ways of greeting;
- Eating habit;
- Cultural festivals;
- Ways of hairstyle and dressing;
- Ways of conducting ceremonies;
CUSTOMS WHICH SHOULD BE RETAINED AND ENCOURAGE
The following are some customs that should be encourage and retained:
- Traditional hairstyle
- Traditional ceremonies e.g. marriage, naming ceremonies
- Mode of dressing
- Traditional institution e.g. leadership, chiefs
- Architectural design
- Respect to elders
- Respect for handwork
- High moral values
- Good eating habit
- Cultural Festivals
- Good child upbringing
CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS THAT NEED TO BE CHANGED
The following are some customs that needs to be stopped. Namely:
- Violence and gender discrimination.
- Secret societies.
- Sacrifices and rituals
- Making male child more important.
- Killing of twins
REASON FOR CHANGE IN CUSTOM
- It does not bring development to the economy.
- It is danger to human.
- Because some bring conflict instead of unity.
- Some are bias
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (OTHER PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY)
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- What is the Meaning of culture diversity and unity?
- Mention three Custom and traditions.
- Mention three Retainable custom.
- List three custom that should be discarded.
- Mention two Reasons for change in some custom.
.CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: OTHER PEOPLE IN THE FAMILY
NEXT LESSON: PROCRESSES OF CHANGING CULTURE AND DIFFERENCES