SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 3
CLASS: PRIMARY 6
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: FUNCTIONS OF CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS IN NIGERIA
- Functions of civil society groups in Nigeria
- Problems of civil society group in Nigeria
At the end of this discussion in this Module, children should be able to know the:
- Meaning of Civil Society
- Characteristic of Civil Society
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive Poster
- Interactive Video
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum
- Online Materials.
- Civic Education Text Books for Primary Schools
FUNCTIONS OF CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS IN NIGERIA
The following are functions of civil society groups in Nigeria
- Protection of Consumer Rights: they ensure that consumer interest, regarding prices and acquisition of commodities are protected.
- Promotion of healthy lifestyles
- They make alternative suggestions to the existing views of Government
- They act as mediators between the society and the government
- They check government excesses.
- Facilitation of the democratic process.
- Protection of human right.
PROBLEMS OF CIVIL SOCIETY GROUP IN NIGERIA
Some of the problems of civil society groups in Nigeria are:
- They are more concern about the Southwest because most of it members are from the south.
- They are favourable to people from the south
MEANING OF CIVIL SOCIETY
Civil Society are non-governmental organizations in our society, they work together for the interest of the citizens. Voluntarily organized associations, organizations and institutions of the people are part of civil society. They are agent of development in a country. Examples are the Nigeria labour congress (NLC), Nigeria Union of Teacher (NUT).
CHARACTERISTIC OF CIVIL SOCIETY
- public social relations(public life)
- Exist within State Legal Framework
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is Civil Society
- Mention three Characteristic of Civil Society
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.