TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CIVIC EDUCATION
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
THEME: OUR VALUES
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 5/ BASIC 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: CIVIC EDUCATION
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- Meaning of civic education
- Components of civic education
- Why we study civic education
- Importance of civic education
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Writing materials
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Lagos State Civic Education Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Civic Education (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
- Edudelight Civic Education Text Books for Primary Schools
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON:
WORD FILE: amenities, electricity.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF CIVIC EDUCATION
Civic education is the study that makes us understand the right of a citizen, his duties and responsibilities to himself, society and the activities of government it is also the study of Government to ensure they provide basic amenities for the citizens such as electricity, market, good road, water, and health. Etc.
Since we are in democratic government, we have the following right as human
- Right to life
- Freedom of movement
- Freedom of association
- Freedom of speech
OUR DUTIES AS A CITIZEN
- Obedience to authorities
- Respect for the constitution
- Payment of taxes , fine and rates
- Respect for constitution
- Respect for national symbols
COMPONENTS OF CIVIC EDUCATION
The following are the component of civic education
- Cultural component: Civic education helps us to value, respect our culture and know the importance of culture and also to accommodate and tolerate people with other culture.
- Social component: civic education instruct us on how to live peacefully, cooperate, and assist one another in the society and also join other social activities like naming ceremonies, wedding.
- Political Components: this part of civic education helps us to know about the duties of our political leaders and government.
- Economic Component: it deals with how to produce and spread out goods and services to people in the society. That is making use of available resources of the nation.
- Legal Component: it makes us to know the laws of the land using the constitution and helps us to know the rights as a citizen.
WHY WE STUDY CIVIC EDUCATION
The following are the reasons why we study civic education
- To know the rights of the citizen from the government.
- To know the right and duties of citizens
- To respect and obey our rulers and elders.
- To help promote public education and awareness
- To know the importance of loving and supporting the government
IMPORTANCE OF CIVIC EDUCATION
The following are the importance of civic education
- To be aware of our rights as citizens.
- To develop good citizens.
- Makes governance easy.
- To know about government policies and programmes.
- To maintain peaceful and orderly and stable environment.
- To makes us understand our society.
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons (FIRST TERM CIVIC EDUCATION SCHEME OF WORK FOR PRIMARY FOUR (4).
- Teacher leads the pupils to understand the topic: CIVIC EDUCATION.
- She/he explain the components of civic education.
- He/she explains why we study civic education.
- .Teacher leads pupils to mention the component of civic education.
- What is the Meaning of civic education
- Mention three Components of civic education
- List three reasons Why we study civic education
- Mention three Importance of civic education
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: HOUSE CONSTRUCTION
NEXT LESSON: OUR RIGHTS