TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CIVIC EDUCATION
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
THEME: OUR VALUES
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: MODERN HOUSES
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- Modern houses
- Ways of making people own houses
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Toy houses
- Writing materials
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Lagos State Civic Education Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Civic Education (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
- Edudelight Civic Education TextBooks for Primary Schools
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: skyscraper, corrugated.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Modern houses is divided into two (2) namely:
- Storey Building: A storey can be a one – storey building or more than one depending on financial ability of the owner. E.g. skyscraper or high rise building.
- Duplexes: they are modern house with room and two floors, built with cement and corrugated iron roofing sheets.
- Flats: they are set of rooms usually on the floor of a building with two or more floors. It may be one, two or more bedroom flat.
- Penthouse: it is an apartment located on the top floors of a building.
- Skyscrapers/ towers: a building with many stories
- Bungalows: a small house with single story
REASONS WHY MANY PEOPLE DO NOT OWN HOUSES IN NIGERIA
The following are the reasons that is responsible for people not having houses
- High cost of building materials
- Difficulty in obtaining loans
- Problem of high cost of land
- Lack of space in some places where we have more mountains, hills, rivers etc.
WAYS OF MAKING PEOPLE OWN HOUSES
The following are ways people can own houses:
- Encourage people to save money for building project.
- The cost of buying land should be reduced.
- Getting loans should be made easier.
- Cost of building materials should be reduced.
PROVISION AND ACQUISITION OF HOUSES
People acquire houses through:
- Savings and personal efforts.
- Through housing cooperation.
- Loan from commercial banks.
- Loan from mortgage banks.
- Government allocation.
WAYS OF MAKING PEOPLE OWN HOUSE
The following are step people taken to own a house
- Buy a land
- Get a certificate of occupancy
- Get the architectural design/ building plan
- Get surveyor to survey the land
- Get approval of building plan by the land registry in your area
- Get other necessary document
- Buy building materials
- Start building
When building a house the builders involves should follow the right approaches and principles, ethics.
VALUES IN HOUSE CONSTRUCTION
The following are values required to build a good house
- Honesty from builders
- Have concern for others
- Accountabilities in house building
- Good and quality materials
- Professional skills
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons (HOUSES – OUR VALUES).
- Teacher leads the pupils to understand the topic: MODERN HOUSES.
- She/he explain the types of modern houses.
- .Teacher leads pupils to mention ways of making people own houses.
- What is Modern houses
- Mention three Ways of making people own houses
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: OUR VALUES
NEXT LESSON: HOUSE CONSTRUCTION