TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
SUBJECT: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
THEME: PROCESSES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 7
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: HOW TO RAISE ORNAMENTAL PLANTS
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to know about:
- How to raise ornamental plants.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Samples of soil
- Whiteboard/ Chalkboard
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with materials needed for growing crop.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools.
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Agricultural Science (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Agricultural Science Scheme of Work
- Edudelight Agricultural Science for Primary Schools.
WORD FILE: environments, Hibiscus, Flamboyant.
Ornamental plants are plants that humans used to beautify our houses and environment.
EXAMPLES OF ORNAMENTAL PLANTS
- Flamboyant (flame of the forest)
STEPS IN GROWING ORNAMENTAL PLANTS
- Choice of site: you have to choose a site where the plants will be able to grow very well.
- Land clearing: hoes, machete can be used to remove junks and weeds from the land before planting.
- Seed bed or pot preparation: Ensure the soil in the seedbed or pot is a good soil. Top soil should be loosen for removal of roots, stones and woods.
- Planting: most ornamental plants are raised through their seedlings. So, seedlings are transplanted to the pots or the flower bed.
- Weeding: when the plants start growing, weeds will also grows. Pull the weeds with either hands, or with hoes to ease the growth of the plant.
- Manuring: apply manure to the plant for effective growth of the plant.
- Watering: water the flower bed regularly.
- Mulching: make use of either dry leaves, stems, palm frond, plastic to reduce loss of water from the soil.
- Pruning: trim the flower stems, leaves and branches with garden scissors or shears to make the flower look attractive.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (MATERIALS NEEDED FOR GROWING CROP).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (HOW TO RAISE ORNAMENTAL PLANTS).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion.
- What are ornamental plants?
- Why should ornamental plant be in our environment?
- List the steps you would take to raise ornamental plants
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: MATERIALS NEEDED FOR GROWING CROP
NEXT LESSON: SAFETY MEASURES IN APPLYING CHEMICALS