SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 1
THEME: YOU AND TECHNOLOGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 6
TIME: 40 MINUTES
- Meaning of Safety
- Meaning of accident
- Causes of Accident
- Prevention of Accidents
- Some safety Devices
- First Aid Box (items in first aid box)
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Define Safety.
- State the causes of accident.
- List the safety rules to prevent accident
- Hand glove
- Protective sun glass
- Safety boot
- Pull Over
- Fire extinguisher
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
DEFINITION OF SAFETY
Safety is when there is no possible danger or harm around us. That is Safety are rules or things put in place to avoid injury or accidents in our schools, workshop and our homes
CAUSES OF ACCIDENT
What is accident? Accidents is the events that make us get injured. Accidents are caused by not obeying safety rules.
Causes of accidents are:
- Stepping on sharp object like nail, broken bottle etc.
- Use of laboratory Machine without necessary guide
- Unsafe working condition like working without safety tools.
- Unsafe practice by workshop users
- Dropping of Banana peel on the floor
- Lifting heavy load
- Jumping a high fence
- Playing with lighted stove, gas, candle
- Playing with sharp objects like knife, scissor
- Careless with hot water
OBJECT THAT CAUSES ACCIDENT
- ELECTRIC IRON
PREVENTION OF ACCIDENT
- Keep our environment clean and tidy
- Keep sharp tools in a safe place
- Put on laboratory coat when necessary
- Avoid keeping sharp tools like blade, needle in your pocket.
- Do not run around with sharp objects in your hand
- Report injury immediately
- By being careful
- By not being too playful
SOME SAFETY DEVICES
Safety devices are materials use when working to protect ourselves from accident. Some of the safety devices are:
- Nose masks
- Laboratory coats
- Eye goggles
- Fire extinguishers
- Sand bucket
FIRST AID BOX (ITEMS IN FIRST AID BOX)
First aid is the help given to a sick or injured person before receiving proper medical assistance.
First Aid Box is a container that contains different materials that can be used to help an accident victims before taken the person to the hospital.
NOTE: First Aid box can also be in form of bag. That is First Aid Bag.
The following are items in a first aid box:
- Cotton wool
- Razor blade
- Iodine solution
- Methylated spirit
- Medicines like paracetamol, Panadol, balm.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is The Meaning of Safety?
- List three causes of accident.
- Mention three items that can be found in a first aid box.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.