SUBJECT: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
TERM: THIRD TERM
THEME: BASIC MOVEMENT
WEEK: WEEK 1
CLASS: PRIMARY 6
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: PHYSICAL FITNESS: MEASURING PHYSICAL FITNESS COMPONENT
At the end of this discussion in this unit, children should be able to know:
- Mention some components of physical fitness and body conditioning
- Demonstrate the execution of agility, power, flexibility and balance
- Identify the activities for measuring Agility, power, flexibility
- Measure your agility, power, flexibility, and balance level
- Mention the benefits of
these fitness component.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools.
COMPONENTS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS AND BODY CONDITIONING
Physical fitness is the ability to carry out daily activities without getting tired easily. It is also the general state of wellbeing.
THE COMPONENT OF PHYSICAL FITNESS ARE:
- Agility: it is the ability to quickly change the movement of the body momentums from one direction to another.
- Balance: it is the ability to maintain the body posture and position while standing or moving on a stable or unstable surface.
- Flexibility: it is the range of motion through which body joint can be extended and the ease with which it is accomplished.
- Power: it is the ability to exert maximum muscular contraction instantly in an explosive burst of movements. Two components of power are strength and speed.
MEASUREMENT OF PHYSICAL FITNESS COMPONENT
The components of physical fitness can be measured in many ways. Some are:
- Agility test like zigzag test, 10m shuttle race, 505 agility test, agility run, shuttle run test
- Balance test like bass test, stork stand test, beam walk, beam balance, flamingo balance.
- Flexibility test like sitting and react test, V-sit test, straight knee toe touch, straight leg test.
- Power test like Sergeant or vertical jump, broad or standing long jump.
BENEFITS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS
- Its improve stamina.
- It reduces the chances of injury.
- It promotes quick reaction in times of emergency.
- It make you look good and feel better.
- It prevents minor and major illness.
- It makes sport participation more enjoyable.
- It promotes the ability to move with ease.
- It prevent structural and physiological problems of posture.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Mention any three physical fitness exercise and body conditioning
the benefitsof agility, balance, flexibility and power. Demonstrate fitness exercises used to measure agility, balance, flexibility and power. physicalphysical
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.