TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
SUBJECT: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: ATHLETICS (FIELD EVENTS)
WEEK: WEEK 4
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: ATHLETICS – FIELD EVENTS – LONG JUMP
- The basic skills of approach
- Field event long jump
At the end of this discussion in this unit, student should be able to know about:
- Field event long jump
- phases in long jump
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Physical and Health Education.
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: competition, festival, competitive.
Athletics started during the time of the early men when they were forced to run, jump, climb trees and mountains, throw sticks and stones, swim, dance, and wrestle in order to obtain their foods, or to protect their lives which were in dangers from enemy forces. It is a competitive sport. The first athletic meeting was held in 776 B.C. in Greece. It was known as Olympic Games held in honour of Zeus the king of the Greek gods. It came up every four years until 394 A.D. when it was banned by Emperor Theodosius who regarded is as a pagan festival but it was revived in 1896 by Monsieur Baron pierce de Coubertin a French lover of sports who was known as father of Olympic.
SCOPE OF ATHLETICS
Athletics is group into two (2).
- Track events
- Field events
BENEFITS OF ATHLETICS
- It gives fun and enjoyment.
- For entertainment
- For professionalism
- For means of livelihood
- To acquire skills
Track events are events that involves running between lanes (1.22m wide) on the fields.
Track event are sub grouped into
- The sprint races, including hurdles() like the straight sprint(50m, 75m, 100m and 110m hurdles), the semicircular sprints(150m, 200m), circular sprints (400m, hurdle(100 * 4, 200 * 4, 4 relay races)).
- The middle distance races like the 800m, 1500m races.
- The long distance races and marathon like 3,000m, 5,000m, 10,000m, and marathons.
FIELD EVENTS are the events that involves throwing and jumping on the field except games.
Field event is grouped into two:
- The throws
- The jumps
The throws are all event which involve the throwing of some implements or missiles for distance
Examples of athletic missiles are:
- The short put
- The discuss
- The hammer
- The javelin
Jumps event involve jumping for height over a raised object or jumping for distance from a marked spot on a flat surface into a demarcated pit.
Types of jumps
- Vertical jumps: these are jumps for height. Like high jump, pole vault.
- Horizontal jumps: these are jumps for distance. Like long jump, triple jump or hop-step jump.
Long jump is a field event in athletic. It is a competition that involves jumping as far as possible from a running start. It involves carrying the body upward and forward through the air so as to cover horizontal distance on ground.it is a speed events which ends with a high jump.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (
- The Teacher introduces the topic (ATHLETICS).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- Learners practice some track and field events
Teacher ask the learners to:
- What is athletics
- Mention the types of track event
- Mention the type of field event
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: NON LOCOMOTIVE MOVEMENT
NEXT LESSON: ATHLETICS (TRACK EVENTS)