TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON SOCIAL STUDIES
SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
THEME: UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 4
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: MARRIAGE CUSTOMS AND PRACTICES
At the end of this discussion in this Module, children should be able to know:
- Steps in selecting marriage partner.
- Preparation for marriage
- Values that are relevant to selection of marriage
- Roles played by families in marriage
- Unhealthy marriage practices (consequences)
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools
- Lagos State Scheme of Work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Social Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Edudelight Social Studies TextBooks for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with processes of changing culture and differences – diversity in language.
WORD FILE: recommendation, matured, mutilation.
CONTENT OF THE MODULE
VARIOUS WAYS OF SELECTING MARRIAGE PARTNER
The following are general ways of selecting a life partner.
- Through recommendation.
- Through parent consent.
- Sending of relatives to speak to the girl they want to marry.
- Sending of friend to talk to the girl.
- Through school, place of work, parties.
PREPARATION FOR MARRIAGE
Before marriage is take place, the man, lady and parent have to do the following:
- Seeking advice from matured people
- Family investigation
- Know about the behavior of partners
- Visit to the lady and man families
- Submission of marriage gift.
- Payment of diary
- Marriage date will be fixed
RELEVANT VALUE IN SELECTING A MARRIAGE PARTNER
THE ROLES OF FAMILIES AND PARENT IN MARRIAGE
- Advice the daughter on how take care of herself.
- Parent teach their son on how to be a good husband and behave well.
- Advice the couples
- Encourage the partners
- Get useful information about the spouse.
- They contribute in one way or the order in organizing the marriage.
UNHEALTHY MARRIAGE PRACTICES
- Early marriage
- Same sex marriage
- Trial marriage
- Elopement marriage
- Wife swapping
- Wife inheritance
- Forced marriage
- Exclusion of women in marriage decision
- Female genital mutilation
- Widow hood practices
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (PROCRESSES OF CHANGING CULTURE AND DIFFERENCES – DIVERSITY IN LANGUAGE).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (DIVERSITY IN LANGUAGE)
- The Teacher explains thelessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- List three Steps in selecting marriage partner.
- State three steps in Preparation for marriage
- Mention three Values that are relevant to selection of marriage
- Identify three Roles played by families in marriage
- Mention three Unhealthy marriage practices (consequences)
.CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: PROCESSES OF CHANGING CULTURE AND DIFFERENCES – DIVERSITY IN LANGUAGE
NEXT LESSON: ROLES PLAYED BY FAMILIES IN MARRIAGE