TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CIVIC EDUCATION
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
THEME: OUR VALUES
TERM: FIRST TERM
CLASS: PRIMARY 5/ BASIC 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: ATTITUDE OF VICTIM OF NATURAL DISASTERS
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- Meaning of natural disasters
- Difference between natural disaster and unnatural disasters
- Some common natural disasters
- Causes of natural disasters
- Effect of natural disasters on life and property
- Our attitude towards the victims of natural disasters
- Ways of assisting people affected by disasters
- Organisations responsible for helping accident victims
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Writing materials
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Lagos State Civic Education Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Civic Education (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
- Edudelight Civic Education TextBooks for Primary Schools
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with problems created by bad leadership..
WORD FILE: unexpectedly, disaster.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF NATURAL AND UNNATURAL DISASTERS
Natural disaster is great loss and misfortune that happens unexpectedly. Natural disasters are not caused by man. Natural disasters destroy lives and properties and sometimes it goes beyond repair.
Examples of natural disaster are earthquake, flood, and wind.
Unnatural disasters are caused by man and animal carelessness or action. E.g. road accident, plane crash
CAUSES OF NATURAL DISASTER
- Heavy rains
- Overflowing rivers
- Climate change and global warming.
- Heavy wind
CAUSES OF UNNATURAL DISASTER (MAN)
- Plane crash
- Sinking ship
- Motor accident
- Blocked drainage
- Through epidemics
EFFECT OF NATURAL DISASTERS ON LIVES AND PROPERTIES
The following are effects of natural disasters on life and properties.
- Severe injuries
- Loss of lives
- Loss of properties
- loss of homes
- loss of jobs
- destruction of farmland
- loss of communication and transport
- economic loss
HOW TO CONTROL UNNATURAL DISASTERS
- ensure motor vehicles are in good condition
- road maintenance
- proper discharge channel to control flood
- ensure aircraft are in good condition
OUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE VICTIMS OF NATURAL DISASTERS
- care for them
- show them love
- assist them
- we should not discriminate them
- we should not laugh at them
- encourage them by words
WAYS OF ASSISTING PEOPLE AFFECTED BY DISASTERS
- Help by giving them first aid treatment.
- provide food for them
- help them with accommodation
- Donation of money
- Pray for speedy recovery from pains, injury or loss.
- We should volunteer and join the rescue team to rescue those affected.
- We should join the recovery team to recover victim’s properties and protect it from being stolen.
ORGANISATIONS RESPONSIBLE FOR HELPING ACCIDENT VICTIMS
- National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)
- Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)
- The Nigeria Red Cross
- Federal Fire Service
- The Nigerian Police Force
- Non – government Organisation (N.G.O)
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons (PROBLEMS CREATED BY BAD LEADERSHIP).
- Teacher leads the pupils to understand the topic: ATTITUDE OF VICTIM OF NATURAL DISASTERS.
- She/he explain natural and unnatural disasters.
- .Teacher leads pupils to mention differences between natural and unnatural disasters.
- What is natural disaster?
- What is unnatural disaster?
- List three causes of natural disaster
- Causes of natural disasters
- Mention three Effect of natural disasters on life and properties
- What are Our attitude towards the victims of natural disasters
- Mention three Ways of assisting people affected by disasters
- List three Organisations responsible for helping accident victims
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: PROBLEMS CREATED BY BAD LEADERSHIP.
NEXT LESSON: ATTITUDE OF VICTIM OF NATURAL DISASTERS.