TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
SUBJECT: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME
WEEK: WEEK 10
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME
- Meaning of school health programme
- Component of school health programme
- The importance of school health programme
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- The Meaning of school health programme
- The Component of school health programme
- The importance of school health programme to school life
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Physical and Health Education.
- Edudelight Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with.
MEANING OF SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME
School health programs refers to all the health activities and measures that are carried out within the community to promote and protect the health of children of school age and also the school staff. These activities may take place within and outside the school compound.
The teaching is done by health officers, doctors or people who are well experienced in the field of sanitation. They teach the school pupils ways of living a healthy life and the importance of healthy living such as keeping of nails, mouth, teeth, clothes and hair clean.
COMPONENT OF SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME
A school health programme has been conveniently divided into four interrelated areas:
- Healthful school environment
- School Health services
- School health education
- School community relationship
HEALTHFUL SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
It covers all the various physical, emotional and social aspects of the school, and the measures provided at school to ensure the health and safety of the children and staff.
- Provision of healthy physical environment.
- The organization of health school day
- The establishment of inter – personal relationships
It is concerned with people’s health behavior towards common diseases and other health problems as well as with educational processes used to bring about positive health behaviours.
School health services activities are:
- Provision of educational and counselling opportunities for promoting and maintaining individuals, family and community health.
- They provide emergency care for illness and injuries.
- They provide and promote sanitary condition for a safe school environment.
- Helping to promote voluntary health habits based on values attached to health as a way of life.
- Communicating scientific health information in a way the learners will understand for positive health habit
- Identification of health needs of a particular people, cooperation.
- Developing favourable health attitude and encouraging positive response towards health intervention.
SCHOOL HEALTH EDUCATION
According to world health organization(WHO) it defines health Education as “all those experiences of san individual, group or community that influence beliefs, attitudes and behaviours with respect to health as well as the processes and efforts of producing change when this is necessary for optimal health”
The goal of the health education is health practice or action and opportunities in the areas of health protection and health promotion. The learning experience and opportunities are provided through health instructors, school health services, healthful school environments and organized cooperation of home, school and community activities related to school health.
SCHOOL COMMUNITY RELATIONSHIP
Community health is concerned with all the scientific measures for improving the quality of life so that people may enjoy long life and maximal productivities.
- Protective and promotive services
- Curative and rehabilitative health programmes
- Provision of health related facilities in the community such as portable water supply, sanitary disposal of refuse and excreta, prevention of pollution
- Provision of hygienic houses
- Control of vectors of diseases, rodents and pests.
IMPORTANCE OF SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME
- It help in controlling communicable diseases
- It provide health knowledge to the people
- It help to solve health problems of the student and families
- It improves student health.
- It helps the children in their performance at school and future
- It make the children know the importance of a healthy life style.
- It help children to stay away from bad habit such as drug abuse, smoking and premarital sex.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (PERSONAL HEALTH – CARE OF THE BODY PARTS).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- Learners practice how to clean the school environment.
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Meaning of school health programme
- Mention the Component of school health programme
- State the importance of school health programme
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: PERSONAL HEALTH – CARE OF THE BODY PARTS
NEXT LESSON: SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMME.