Lagos State English scheme of work for Jss 3 – Edudelight.com Scheme
English Language Junior Secondary School Syllabus
Jss 3 English Language Syllabus
Revision of last term’s work and examination. Summary: Summarizing
Structure: More on clauses
- Essay Writing: Speech Writing for special purposes
- Comprehension/vocabulary building
Reading for inference
Comprehension/Vocabulary Development: Giving the meaning of idiomatic expression and identifying figures of speech from the passage Structure: Direct and Indirect speeches
Comprehension / vocabulary Skill: Reading to infer the thoughts of the writer
- Essay Writing: More on Formal and Informal letters
Structure: Nominalization of Infinitives
Comprehension / Summary: learning tips on how to approach summary writing in examination
- Structure: Restrictive and Non – Restrictive clauses
Essay Writing: Hints on writing essays in the examination
Speech Work: Learning the requirement of the examination orals
- Structure: Hints on lexis and structure
Comprehension: Hints on Answering comprehension questions
Speech Work: Revising the vowels and consonants
- Structure: Review of tense
Comprehension: Further hints on how to answer comprehension questions.
MARKING OF SCRIPTS
MARKING AND RECORDING
Jss 3 English Language Syllabus II
1. Revision of last term’s examination. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development- Revision of prefixes, English Structure, Expressing exception using except, except for, but, apart from, without, e.g. (a) we are all students apart from John (b) everyone was present but for my friend. Composition- Narrative essay “My most memorable day”Speech work– consonants /o/ and /t/ e.g. thin, tin, thick, tick, Literature-In-English-use recommended text.
2. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (suffixes – noun derivations: -ness, -ment, -er, ship- action, -ant, -hood,-al e.g. mildness, friendship, inhabitant, etc.), English structure – conjunctions, Composition – report writing– “the school’s Inter- house sports” Speech work – consonant contrast /t/, /s/ e.g. thumb, sum, mouth, mouse, path, pass, etc, Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
3. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (suffixes – verb derivations:- -ify, -ize, -en, e.g. popularize, dignify, lighten)- English structure interjections, Composition – article writing, Speech work – consonant contrast /s/, /z/ e.g. mission, vision, pressure, pleasure, etc, Literature-In-English – use of recommended text.
4. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (suffixes – adjective derivations:- -ful, -ment, -al, -less, -ish, -ive, e.ggrateful, intentional, faithless, childish, attentive)- English structure–question tags, Composition– informal letter e.g. “A letter to a friend” Speech work – Nasal sounds /m/, /n/, /g/ e.g. man, nap, song, Literature-In-English – use of recommended text.
5. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (word associated with value of judgment e.g. delicious, unpleasant etc)- English structure – Personal and possessive pronouns, Composition – Formal letter – “A letter of invitation to a programme” Speech work – vowels /i/ and /i:/, Literature-In-English, recommended text.
6. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Words associated with moral appraisal e.g. callous, generous, faithful etc)- English Structure – reflexive and relative pronouns, Composition – Expository essay “Why students fail examinations” Speech Work – Vowels /a:/ and /z/ e.g. bath, birth, arm, earn, farm, firm etc, Literature-In-English, Use recommended text.
7. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (synonyms – words similar in meaning/context to holy e.g pious, religious, godly, God fearing etc)- English Structure – indefinite and reciprocal pronouns, Composition – Descriptive essay – “My Schools inter-house sports” Speech Work – Vowels / /, / :/ and / / e.g cot, court, come, Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
8. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Synonyms– words similar in meaning/context to active e.g. Agile, energetic, quick, dynamic etc)- English Structure, Demonstrative Pronouns, Composition, Argumentative essay “Teachers are better than farmers in a society” Speech Work – Vowels /u/, and /u:/ e.g. pull, pool, soup, sue etc. Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
9. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Synonyms – words similar in meaning/context to callous e.g. unsympathetic, unfeeling etc)- English Structure – active voice e.g. I bought the dog, my parent bought my books.Composition, Expository writing (story writing), Background/ introduction, Speech Work – Vowels / / e.g. among,
above, about etc, Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
10. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Synonyms – words similar in meaning/context to law e.g. rule, regulation, legislation etc)- Structure passive voice e.g. the dog was bought by me, my books were bought by my parents, Composition expository writing proper (story writing ii) – (choose a relevant topic), Speech Work – revise the diphthongs, Literature-In-English – (use recommended text).
11-12. Revision and Examination
13. Examination (cont’d).