Junior Secondary School Curriculum for PHE JSS 2 SecondTerm
Lagos State Ministry of Education Scheme of Work
SECOND TERM SCHEME OF WORK FOR PHE JSS 2 (Basic 8)
- School Health Programme
- Environment Pollution
- Table Tennis Game
- Posture and Postural Defects
- Basketball Game
SECOND TERM SCHEME OF WORK FOR PHE JSS 2 (BASIC 8) – MODIFIED I
- Revision of work done in the first term.
- Components of school health program: (a) meaning of school program (b) the components of school health program –(i) health instruction (ii) school health services (iii) healthful school living/healthful school environment (iv) school community relationship.(c) FRESH approach, meaning, initiative, skill based teacher effective application of resources. Effective health related policies. Integrated teaching. (Infusing health components into related subject areas).
- Environmental pollution: (a) type of environmental pollution –air, water, land and noise pollution. (b) Effects of environmental pollution (c) prevention of environmental pollution.
- Posture and postural defects: (a) meaning of posture. (b) kinds of posture- (i) standing posture, (ii) sitting posture, (iii) walking posture (iv) running posture, (v) lifting posture (vi) climbing posture. (c) Posture defects, – (i) hypnosis, (ii) vague knee, (iii) virus knee, (iv) lordosis and (v) scoliosis. (d) Causes of posture defects: (i) poor nutrition, (ii) lack of exercises, (iii) uneven soled shoes, (iv) tight wears, (v) poor sleeping position,(vi) disproportionate growth.
- Gymnastic—Apparatus Activities: (a) definition of apparatus activities. (b) Classification of apparatus: (i) horizontal ladder,(ii) parallel bars – balance beams (girls), (iii) vaulting box, (iv) buck, etc. (c) activities done with apparatus: through vault, astride vault, lift vault, dive forward roll over box, neck spring, balancing on beam (girls), cartwheel. (d) Definition and functions of spotters in gymnastic activities and other safety precautions.
- Types of Recreational activities: (a) the types of indoor recreational activities – lido, draught, scrabble, table tennis.(b) types of outdoor recreational activities — hunting, fishing, jogging etc.
- Dramatic and creative rhythms: (a) definition of rhythmic activities. (b) Classification of rhythmic activities: (i) fundamental rhythms (walking, running and skipping). (ii) Creative rhythms (imitate animal and old soldier) (iii) dramatic rhythm (dramatization, poems and stories).
- Computer Games: Computer sports – (i) football (ii) volleyball (iii) basketball.
- Consumer health: (a) meaning of consumer health. (b) examples of consumer right – (i) display of production and expiry dates. (ii) Display of nutrient composition. (iii) Choice of food.
SECOND TERM SCHEME OF WORK FOR PHE JSS 2 (BASIC 8) – MODIFIED II
1. i. The striking games (table tennis and lawn tennis)
ii. Basic skills and techniques of table tennis
2. i. Equipment and facilities of table tennis
ii. Rules and regulation of table tennis
iii. Officials of table tennis and their duties
3. i. Basic skills and techniques of tennis
4. i. Equipment and facilities of tennis
ii. Rules and regulations of tennis
iii. Officials of tennis
5. Personal, school and community health
i. Meaning and component of school health programme
6. Types of environmental pollution
7/8 Effect of pollution on the environment and personal health
9. Preventive measure against environmental pollution
10. Fresh approach to school health programme
11/112 Revision and examination