SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 8
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to know:
- Meaning of traditional marriage
- Modern marriage
- Main features of traditional marriage
- Values of traditional marriage
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
MEANING OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE
Traditional marriage is the reunion of two people a male and a female in traditional ways. It is a marriage that is done base on the traditions, customs and practices of the people.
MOSERN MARRIAGE: it is the union of two people a male and a female in a modern way.
MAIN FEATURES OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE
- The man who is planning to get married goes to the parents of the lady with his family, friends and relation.
- Bride price is paid on the arranged day by the man.
- The both parents pray for their son and daughter.
- Gifts are exchanged like kolanut, food, drinks.
VALUES OF TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE
Some of the values of traditional marriage are as follows:
- Maintain the Good name of the family
- It brings respect
- Friendship between families
- It create Great bond
- Integrity, etc.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (PROBLEMS OF PARENTHOOD – THE CONCEPT OF SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES (STDS) AND HIV/AIDS).
- The Teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- What is difference between traditional marriage and Modern marriage
- Mention three Main features of traditional marriage
- Identify three Values of traditional marriage
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD
NEXT LESSON: MODERN MARRIAGE