TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 2
THEME: UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
TIME: 40 MINUTES
- Definition of Technology
- Importance of Technology
At the end of this Topic, Pupils should be able to:
- Know the Definition of Technology
- Know the Importance of Technology
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Cell phone
- Toy car
- Ring boiler
- Toy Aero plane
- Toy ship
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
CONTENT OF THE TOPIC
Technology is the practical use of science to design and develop products that make work easier, faster and also make life enjoyable.
IMPORTANCE OF TECHNOLOGY
- It makes life easier and comfortable
- It make work faster
- It makes work easy
- It make information to be easily passed
- It leads to the production of more food.
- It make people and goods to be easily transported from one place to the other.
THE FLOW OF ELECTRIC CURRENT
Electricity is the flow of current from one point to another point.
CONDUCTOR AND INSULATOR
Conductors are objects or materials that allow electricity to pass through them e.g. metallic materials like nail, silver wire, copper wire, aluminum wire.
Insulators are object that do not allow current to pass through them. Examples are wood, plastics, glass, rubber band and non-metallic insulator.
SOURCES OF ELECTRICITY
Electricity can be generated from the following sources:
- Friction – Use of Galvanometer
- Magnetic – Use of Magnets
- Chemical Source – using Electrolyte
- Hydro Electric
- use of Gas
COMPONENT OF A CIRCUIT
ELECTRIC CIRCUIT: An electric circuit is a pathway or a complete circle through which an electric current passes.
The component of an electric circuit are as follows:
- Fuse: is a safety device used to control the amount of electricity that can pass through a point.
- Switch: it is used to control electric current by enabling you to put off (stop) or put on (allow) light or current flow.
- Lamp etc.
USES OF ELECTRICITY
- Electricity gives us light.
- Electricity helps us in generating heat.
- It makes our home appliances work
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is electric circuit?
- What are conductor and insulator?
- List the two conductors and insulator.
- State two uses of electricity.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.