SUBJECT: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 7
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: COMPONENT OF ANIMALS FEED
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to know:
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Whiteboard/ Chalkboard
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools.
- Online Materials.
- Lagos State Agricultural Science Scheme of Work
- Agricultural Science for Primary Schools.
Animal feed is food given to domestic animals in the course of Breeding and caring for farm animals. There are two basic types: fodder and forage. Used alone, the word “feed” more often refers to fodder.
Fodder are foods that are cut and brought to the animal to eat. It composed of entire plants or the leaves and stalks of a cereal crop.
Forage are foods that the animal eat by walking around to get themselves.
We have different sources or component of animal feeds these are
- Locally or traditional sources of animal feed:
- Processed or compound or manufacturing component of animal feed
LOCALLY OR TRADITIONAL SOURCES OF ANIMAL FEED
Local method of feeding animals includes household food waste, plant waste and by product of food processing industries like byproduct from milling device, brewing.
LOCAL COMPONENT OF ANIMAL FEED ARE:
- Feed grains like Maize, soybeans, corn, wheats, rice, oats, barley, rye.
PROCESSED OR COMPOUND COMPONENT OF ANIMAL FEED
Processed animal feed is the process of producing animal feed from raw agricultural products and additives. They are manufactured by feed compounders as meal type, pellets or crumbles. The processed animal feeds are formulated to meet specific animal nutrition requirements for different species of animals at different life.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Mention three Locally component of animal feed
- Mention three Processed component of animal feed
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.