Senior Secondary School Scheme of work Government – Edudelight.com
NERDC Curriculum Government SS1
SS1 First Term Government Scheme of work Lagos State
- The Meaning and the Scope of the Subject Matter: Government
- Government as an Institution of the State
- Government as an Art of Governing
- Government as an Academic Field of Study
2. Features/Characteristics of government;
- Features of Government
- Functions of Government
- Why we Study Government
3. Basic Concepts of Government:
4. i) Legitimacy ii) Sovereignty iii) Democracy
5. i) Communalism ii) Feudalism
6. i) Socialism (ii) Communism (iii) Capitalism
7. i) Fascism ii) Nazism iii) Totalitarianism
8. State and Nation; Political Culture
9. Political Socialization
10. Characteristics of government: (i) Unitary government (ii) Federal government.
Government Scheme of work SS1 First Term – Modified
Weeks Meaning and scope of the subject Matter
1&2(i) Government as an institution of the State
ii) Government as an Art or process.
iii) Government as an Academic field of study
iv) importance of studying Government .
3 i) The state and its Features
ii) The Nation and its Features
iii) The Society
iv) The Difference/Relationship between state, Nation and the Society.
Basic concepts of Government
4. Power, Definition, forms of power
i) The Acquisition and Exercise of power
ii) Authority: Meaning, sources, Types, Differences between power & Authority
5. i) Legitimacy: meaning, Factors of Determining legitimacy.
ii) Sovereignty: meaning, Characteristics, Types, Location and Limitation
6&7 i) Democracy: Definition, Features, Types, Merits and Demerits, condition Necessary for a successful operation of Democracy
ii) Political culture: Meaning, component Determinant
iii) Political socialization: Definition & Agent
8. i) Communism: Definitions, Characteristics.
ii) Socialism: Definition, features, Merits & Demerits and difference between Capitalism and Socialism.
9. i) Communalism: meaning and features
ii) Feudalism: Definition, Features, Merits & Demerits
iii) Fascism: meaning, features
iv) Totalitarianism: Definition & features
10&11 Unitary System of Govt
Federal system of Government
12 & 13 Revision and Examination