TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT
WEEK: WEEK 11
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: WASTE DISPOSAL
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Define waste disposal
- mention methods of disposal of waste;
- Know different ways of recycling waste.
- Advantages of recycling waste.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Waste bin
- Waste paper basket
- Explanatory posters/pictures showing Waste Disposal.
- Explanatory videos on Waste disposal.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with Healthy Environment.
WORD FILE: hygiene,disposal, latrine.
Waste disposal is the way of keeping our waste (sewage and refuse) in a proper place so that it will not affect our environment. Wastes can be disposed by using disposal bin, disposal van, Disposal barrel, disposal pit.
Ways of disposing sewage waste
- Water closet or discharge pipe should be linked to a soak away.
- Pit latrine should be linked to a septic tank.
Ways of disposing Refuse waste
- Use of dump bin to dumped refuse.
- The use of incinerator.
- Compositing method.
- Land filling.
RECYCLING OF WASTE
Recycling is the procedure of making a materials that has been used before to be useful again by going through some treatment.
Methods of recycling waste
- Burning of pit to be used as manure
- Use of incinerator
ADVANTAGES OF RECYCLING
- It keeps our environment clean.
- It promote personal hygiene.
- It is used to generate income.
- It can be used as fertilizers after treatment.
- It is cheap.
- It provides jobs.
Dangers of poor Disposal of waste.
- It cause germs
- Emission of gaseous waste into the air can lead to serious illness.
- It lead to pollution of the environment.
- It could lead to erosion
- It could destroy plant and animals
- It could lead to serious respiratory problem.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (Healthy Environment).
- The Teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (Waste disposal).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Mention three things that constitute waste;
- Identify different types of waste.
- Define waste disposal
- Mention the methods of disposal of waste;
- State three different ways of recycling waste.
- Mention three Advantages of recycling waste.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: Healthy Environment