TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT
WEEK: WEEK 7 – 8
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: Environmental Quality
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- State the advantages of healthy environment.
- State the disadvantages of degrading the environment.
- Identify ways of maintaining health and beautiful school environment
- List materials for maintaining healthy environment.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Waste bin
- Waste paper basket
- Explanatory posters/pictures showing Noise pollution.
- Explanatory videos on Noise pollution.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students have been taught Erosion.
WORD FILE: Erosion, pollutants.
An Environment is the area in which something exists or lives. That is living and non-living things such as water, land, trees, houses, roads and anything we can see in our surrounding.
A good quality environment is a healthy and safe environment. Maintaining good quality of the environment begins from home and the school.
An environmental quality is the condition or state of our surrounding. The surroundings at home and school must be clean at all times. People must practice good waste disposal habits.
A healthy environment is free from litter refuse, air pollutants water pollutant, and very suitable for our living.
Some of the waste disposal habit are:
- Dusting the furniture.
- Sweeping the classroom.
- Good waste disposal habit.
Unhealthy Environment is an environment with litter refuse, pollutants such as air and water and unsuitable for our living.
The following are causing some unhealthy environment.
- Farming with chemicals.
- Fishing with chemicals.
- Dumping of refuse.
- Sewage in water
- Gas flaring
- Volcanic eruption
Advantages of a healthy Environment
- a healthy environment gives us comfort.
- a healthy environment is free from pollution.
- a healthy environment keep us free from infected but diseases.
- a healthy environment make us to leave in peace with our neighbor.
- a healthy environment make us free from consistent occurrence of accident like stepping on broken bottles.
- a healthy environment guarantees economic and social development.
- a healthy environment promotes tourist attractions.
- Human health is guaranteed by a healthy environment.
- a healthy environment ensures the survival of all living organisms both plants and animals.
- The safety of human beings is ensured in a healthy environment.
DISADVANTAGES OF POOR QUALITY/DEGRADING ENVIRONMENT
- There will be bad odours in the environment
- There will be outbreak of diseases which may lead to death.
- Poor refuse disposal may lead to physical injury
- The environment will lose it beauty.
- It can cause soil, water and even food contamination.
- It can cause water pollution and poisoning of aquatic animals.
- It will lead to reduction in crop yields and hunger of famine resulting from erosion, pollution and oil spillage.
WAYS OF MAINTAINING HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
- Bath regularly, dress well to look good and smart.
- Paint the school and other buildings often.
- Clear the bushes regularly.
- Sweep the compound and each the toilet regularly.
- Plant flowers and fruit trees to serve as shades and beatify the environment.
- Proper disposal of waste.
- Clear the gutter and drains to allow flowing of liquid waste
- Proper drainage and channel.
- Government should order all industries to properly recycle or disposes their waste properly.
- Promotion of game reserve and parks
MATERIALS FOR MAINTAINING A HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT AT HOME AND SCHOOL
- Disposal barrel
- Toilet brush
- Mop and mop bucket
- Well water
- Clothes line
- Scrubbing brush
- Tap water
- Well water
- Waste paper basket
- Dump pit
- Wheel barrow
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (EROSION).
- The Teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (Environmental Quality).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Define Environmental Quality
- List three good quality of a healthy environment
- Mention three Advantages of healthy environment
- Mention three Poor quality environment.
- Mention three Disadvantages of poor quality environment.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: EROSION
NEXT LESSON: WASTE AND WASTE DISPOSAL