TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT
WEEK: WEEK 5
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: CHANGES AROUND US (EROSION I)
- Meaning and types of Erosion.
- Effects of erosion on the environment.
- Controlling soil erosion.
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Describe and state the causes of erosion.
- List the effects of erosion
- Identify and implement simple strategies for controlling erosion.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Card board
- Empty Jar
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students have been taught Pollution.
WORD FILE: Overgrazing, fertility.
Erosion is the washing away and moving of the top soil layer of the earth through water and wind.
TYPES OF EROSION
- Rill Erosion
- Splash Erosion
- Sheet Erosion
- Gully Erosion
CAUSES OF EROSION
The two main causes of Erosion are:
- Water from rain or ice glacier
MAN –MADE CAUSES OF EROSION
- Poor waste disposal methods.
- Bush burning
- Poor agricultural practices by human.
- Poor drainage system.
- Poor road construction
- Overgrazing caused by animals
- Building of market places
- Localization of industries
EFFECTS OF EROSION
Some effect or danger of erosion are:
- Loss of lives and properties.
- Difficulty in road transport
- Poor crop harvest
- Whirl wind Causes blindness
- Loss of soil nutrients and fertility
- Degration of our environment.
- Waste of resources
- Affect the natural structure of the physical landscape.
CONTROL OF EROSION
The following are ways we can control erosion
- Avoid burning of bush
- Planting of trees
- Active land use policy
- Planting of cover crops
- Waste disposal control
- Enlightenment of the public about the dangers of erosion.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (Pollution).
- The Teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (EROSION).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- State three causes of erosion.
- List three effects of erosion
- List three strategies for controlling erosion.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: POLLUTION
NEXT LESSON: ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY