TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CIVIC EDUCATION
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
THEME: OUR VALUES
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 10
CLASS: PRIMARY 5/ BASIC 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: EFFECT OF NATURAL DISASTERS ON LIFE AND PROPERTY
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- Meaning of natural disasters
- Difference between natural disaster and unnatural disasters
- Some common natural disasters
- Causes of natural disasters
- Effect of natural disasters on life and property
- Our attitude towards the victims of natural disasters
- Ways of assisting people affected by disasters
- Organisations responsible for helping accident victims
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Writing materials
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Lagos State Civic Education Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Civic Education (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
- Eudelight Civic Education TextBooks for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: disasters,channel.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
EFFECT OF NATURAL DISASTERS ON LIVES AND PROPERTIES
The following are effects of natural disasters on life and properties.
- Severe injuries
- Loss of lives
- Loss of properties
- loss of homes
- loss of jobs
- destruction of farmland
- loss of communication and transport
- economic loss
HOW TO CONTROL UNNATURAL DISASTERS
- ensure motor vehicles are in good condition
- road maintenance
- proper discharge channel to control flood
- ensure aircraft are in good condition
OUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE VICTIMS OF NATURAL DISASTERS
- care for them
- show them love
- assist them
- we should not discriminate them
- we should not laugh at them
- encourage them by words
WAYS OF ASSISTING PEOPLE AFFECTED BY DISASTERS
- Help by giving them first aid treatment.
- provide food for them
- help them with accommodation
- Donation of money
- Pray for speedy recovery from pains, injury or loss.
- We should volunteer and join the rescue team to rescue those affected.
- We should join the recovery team to recover victim’s properties and protect it from being stolen.
ORGANISATIONS RESPONSIBLE FOR HELPING ACCIDENT VICTIMS
- National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)
- Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)
- The Nigeria Red Cross
- Federal Fire Service
- The Nigerian Police Force
- Non – government Organisation (N.G.O)
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons (SOME COMMON NATURAL DISASTERS).
- Teacher leads the pupils to understand the topic: EFFECT OF NATURAL DISASTERS ON LIFE AND PROPERTY.
- She/he explains our attitude towards the victims of natural disasters.
- .Teacher leads pupils to mention the Effect of natural disasters on life and properties.
- Mention three Effect of natural disasters on life and properties
- What are Our attitude towards the victims of natural disasters
- Mention three Ways of assisting people affected by disasters
- List three Organisations responsible for helping accident victims
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: ATTITUDE OF VICTIM OF NATURAL DISASTERS.
NEXT LESSON: SOME COMMON NATURAL DISASTERS.