TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: LIVING AND NON LIVING THINGS
WEEK: WEEK 6
CLASS: PRIMARY 6
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: MINERAL RESOURCES
- Meaning of mineral resources.
- Types and sources of mineral resources
- Importance of mineral resources
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- List the minerals resources found in Nigeria and where they can be located.
- Identify mineral resources based on observation characteristics.
- State the importance of mineral resources to Nigeria.
- State the consequences of over – exploitable of mineral resources on the environment.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures showing Air
- Explanatory videos on Air
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: deposited, organisms, substances.
Mineral resources are valuable substances which have been deposited naturally underneath the earth. They are removed from the earth by drilling and mining.
Almost all states in Nigeria have its own raw mineral resources.
TYPES OF MINERAL RESOURCES
- Organic minerals: these are formed from living things.
- Inorganic Minerals: these are formed from non – living organisms.
FORMS OF MINERALS
When minerals are gotten they are their raw form, then they now refined through mining or drilling.
- Solid Minerals: they are extracted from the earth through mining. They can be identified using colour, lustre, weight and shape. Like tin are gotten through mining. When solid minerals are in their raw form, they are referred to as ‘Ore.’
- Liquid minerals or gas: liquid minerals are exploited through drilling process from the earth and are separated into different product using fractional Distillation. Like crude oil can be separated into petrol, kerosene, diesel, etc.
REFINERIES IN NIGERIA
Nigeria have four refineries. Two are in Rivers state, one is in Delta state and another is in Kaduna state.
MINERALS SOURCES AND FORMATION
|MINERALS||SOURCE AND FORMATION|
|Crude oil||Buried decayed plants, shells, animal and fossils under great pressure below the earth.|
|coal||Buried decayed plants, shells, animals and fossils under great pressure below the Earth.|
|Common salt||Found in the sea|
LOCATIONS OF MINERALS IN NIGERIA
|Mineral location||State found in nigeria|
|petroleum||Bayelsa state,rivers state, akwa ibom state, Edo state, ondo tate, abia state, Delta state.|
|Iron -ore||Ajaokuta in Kogi state|
|Lime stone||Ewekoro in ogun state, calabar in cross river state, Ukpilla in Edo state.|
|Tin – Ore||Jos in Plateau State|
Mineral resources and its uses
|1||coal||For coal tar for road surfacing, heating, smelting, for industrial chemicals, etc.|
|2||Aluminum||Paint production, packaging of foil, pots, electric wires, roofing sheets, building aircraft body, etc.|
|3||Iron||Animal trap, production of heavy materials, farm tools, nails etc.|
|4||copper||Electric wire, transformer in electronics gadgets, fan coils.|
|5||Crude oil||Fuel, engine oil, brake fluid, wax, jelly, bitumen for building roads.|
|7||Limestone||For making Cement|
IMPORTANCE OF MINERAL RESOURCES TO NIGERIA
- It provides jobs.
- It brings about economic development.
- It bring about industrial development.
- Some medicines are obtained from minerals like liquid paraffin.
- Used in production of farm tool for agricultural purposes.
- It will bring foreign investors into the country.
- It brings about advancement in technology.
- It help in road construction
- Domestic use
CONSEQUENCES OF OVER – EXPLOITATION OF MINERAL RESOURCES IN NIGERIA
- Extension of some animals.
- Extension of some plants.
- Conflict over ownership of minerals and sharing of royalties
- Difficulty in agriculture
- Unfriendly environment to human.
HOW TO CONTROL OVER – EXPLOITATION OF MINERAL RESOURCES IN NIGERIA
- There should be proper control of erosion.
- There should be control and management of pollution
- Formulation and implementation of environmental policies.
- Control measures over gas flaring and oil spillage to protect our rivers and land.
- Resource conservation
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (AIR).
- The teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (MINERAL RESOURCES).
- The Teacher explains
- The Teacher
writethe note on theboard.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Define mineral resources
- List three minerals resources found in Nigeria and where they can be located.
- State three importance of mineral resources to Nigeria.
- State three consequences of over – exploitable of mineral resources on the environment.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: AIR
NEXT LESSON: COLOURS