Senior Secondary School Scheme of work Food and Nutrition – Edudelight.com
NERDC Scheme of work Food and Nutrition SS1
Lagos State Food and Nutrition Scheme of work SS1 Third Term
1. Revision/ food hygiene
-food borne diseases, food sanitation law, food laws regulatory bodies e.g. NAFDAC, SON etc.
2. Cooking of food – definitions, reasons for cooking foods
– Methods of heat transfer
– Methods of cooking- moist heat method, definitions, advantages and disadvantages etc.
3. Dry heat method- definitions, advantages and disadvantages etc.
(b) Frying- types of frying, general rules for frying, advantages and disadvantages.
4. Food study: cereals/ grains – nutritive values of cereals and grains.
-high and low extraction rate flour, cooking methods etc.
5. Legumes/ pulses
– Importance \, nutritive value, cooking methods and dishes made from legumes
6. Practicals on cooking methods, cereals and legumes.
7. Vegetables- types, nutritive values, factors affecting choice of vegetables, preparatory and serving of vegetables.
8. Fruits – types of fruits, nutritive value of fruits, factors affecting choice of fruits.
9. Practicals on fruits and vegetables
10. Meat cookery- types of meat from different animals, nutritive value of meats, methods of cooking meat.