Week 1: Definition of the Subject Matter (Government).
Week 2:BASIC CONCEPT OF GOVERNMENT
- Democracy: Meaning and features.
- Political culture.
- Political socialization.
- Political participation.
Week 5: BASIC CONCEPTS OF GOVERNMENT (CONTINUED):
Week 6: BASIC CONCEPT OF GOVERNMENT (CONTINUED):
Week 7: TYPES AND CHARACTERISTICS OF GOVERNMENT
- Unitary system of Government (meaning, characteristics, merits
Week 8: TYPES AND CHARACTERISTICS OF GOVERNMENT
- Parliamentary system of Government.
- Presidential system of Government.
- Comparison of Parliamentary system and presidential system of Government.
Week 9: TYPES AND CHARACTERISTICS OF GOVERNMENT (CONTINUED):
- The confederal system of Government.
- The monarchical system of Government.
- Comparison of federalism and confederalism.
Week 10: Organs of Government.
Week 11 – 12 Revision/Examination.
SS 2 FIRST TERM’S GOVERNMENT SCHEME OF WORK
Week 1: CIVIL SERVICE
Week 2: PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATION IN THE CIVIL SERVICE
- Meaning of Civil Service Commission
- Functions of the Civil Service Commission.
- The Relationship between the civil service and the political executive.
Week 3: PUBLIC CORPORATION
- Reasons for the establishment of public corporation.
- Functions of public corporation.
Week 4: STRUCTURE AND ORGANISATION OF PUBLIC CORPORATION
- Minister as a political head.
- Board of Director.
- Comparison of the organisation.
Week 5: CONTROL AND PROBLEMS OF PUBLIC CORPORATIONS
- Reasons for the control of public corporations.
- Types of control: ministerial, parliamentary and judicial control.
- Problems facing public corporation.
Week 6: COMMERCIALIZATION: Definition, reasons for commercialization, merits
Week 7: PRIVATIZATION: Definition, reasons, merits, and demerits.
Week 8: DEREGULATION: Meaning, reasons, merits, and demerits.
Week 9: LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA
- Meaning of Local Government.
- Reasons for Local Government Administration.
- Functions of Local Government.
- System of Local Government in Britain and France.
Week 10: THE STRUCTURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- The evolution of Local Government.
- Sources of finance of Local Government.
- The relationship among Local, State and Federal Government in Nigeria.
- Rules of traditional rulers in Local Government administration.
- Local Government reforms.
- Problems facing Local Government and measures to Local Government administration in Nigeria.
Week 11 – 12: Revision/Examination.