TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON COMPUTER STUDIES/ INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: COMPUTER STUDIES
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 10
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 45 MINUTES
TOPIC: COMPUTER SOFTWARE
- Meaning of software
- Types of software
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Define the term software
- Mention difference Types of software
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Hard disk
- Microsoft word cd
- Corel draw cd
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Computer Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Computer Studies for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with computer memory.
WORD FILE: programme, instructions, information.
Meaning of computer software
A software is a program that we can see but we cannot touch them. Just like watching a television programme. We see and hear the sound from the television but we cannot touch the people acting the programme. Examples of television programmes are Tom and Jerry, etc.
Software are set of instruction that tells the hardware of the computer what to do.
Computer software is a set of program or instructions that direct the hardware on what to do, how to do and when to do it.
A computer software can direct the hardware of the computer to do the following:
- Process a series of data to give information.
- Store data information on a disk.
- Perform an arithmetic and logic calculation.
- Print a report.
- Display a picture on the computer monitor.
TYPES OF SOFTWARE
Computer software are classified into two categories namely:
- System software: System software’s are set of programs that controls the computer system. It ensures that all other computer software and computer hardware function properly. Examples are operating system, utility software, and translator.
- Application software: this is the software that enables the computer user to perform a specific tasks. Examples are word processing software, computer games and graphic software. Application software can also be called application or app.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (STORAGE DEVICES).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: COMPUTER SOFTWARE
- She/he explains software and computer software.
- She/he explains the types of computer software.
- She/he mentions
the examplesof computer software.
- Teacher leads pupils to mention the examples of computer software.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES: the students mention the types and examples of computer software.
Instruction: Answer the following questions below.
- Define software and computer software.
- List the types of computer software.
- Mention three examples of computer software.
CONCLUSION: the teacher sum up the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: STORAGE DEVICES
NEXT LESSON: SYSTEM SOFTWARE