TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CIVIC EDUCATION
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
THEME: OUR VALUES
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 4
CLASS: PRIMARY 5/ BASIC 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: GOVERNMENT ‘S MAIN SERVICES I
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know:
- Quality of services provided by government
- Types of services provided by government
- why government is unable to provide services
- consequences of poor services
- how to help government to provide services
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Writing materials
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Lagos State Civic Education Scheme of Work.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Civic Education (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
- Edudelight Civic Education Text Books for Primary Schools
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with house construction.
WORD FILE: enforcement, agencies, borne water.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
QUALITY OF SERVICES PROVIDED BY GOVERNMENT
The following are the services that a government should provide to its citizens:
- Provision of good and quality education
- Secure the nation against external forces
- Provision of health care services.
- Ensure that justice and equity is guaranteed.
- Maintain law and order in the nation through security and law enforcement agencies.
- Provision of social amenities such as schools, roads, electricity, pipe borne water,
- They provide security services.
- Provision of employment to the people in the country.
- Protection of human right
- Educate the people about the government policies
- Establishment of international trade and cooperation
- Intervene in disputes between the citizens and government through the court of law.
- They provide easy communication for the citizens like television station, radio station.
Types of services provided by the government
- They give reports and are accountable on how resources are used (Accountability).
- They should be open to the citizen and have no hidden agenda (Transparency).
- Fulfillment of promises.
- Perform quality work.
- They venture on project at the right time to bring rapid development.
- The government policy should benefit its citizens.
WHY GOVERNMENT IS UNABLE TO PROVIDE SERVICES
- Inadequate funds to carry out their responsibilities.
- some local government refuse to manage it area
- When there is too much control from the state government to the local government.
- Failure of the state government to give what is due to the local government authority
- Religion differences
- Ethnic differences
- Political party differences
- Increase in population
- Poor income
- Contract are wrongly awarded
- Stealing of public properties
- Vandalizing public facilities
- Insensitivity of Government
- Problems of electricity supply and bad road
CONSEQUENCES OF POOR SERVICES
- Increase in crime rate
- Under employment
- Low living standard
- High rate of criminals
- Low production
- Reduces the growth of development of the economy
- Accidents on the road.
- Outspread of diseases.
HOW TO HELP GOVERNMENT TO PROVIDE SERVICES
- Payment of taxes, rates and levies at due time.
- Provision f social services in the community by companies.
- Payment if electricity bills, water bills, etc.
- Report criminals around us.
- Joining your community in environmental sanitation.
- Payment of fees like school fees.
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons ( VALUES IN HOUSE CONSTRUCTION ).
Teacherleads the pupils to understand the topic: GOVERNMENT ‘S MAIN SERVICES.
explainthe Importance of quality of services provided by government.
- He/she explains the types of
services providedby government .. Teacherleads pupils to mention why governmentis unable to provide services.
- Mention three Quality of services provided by government
- List three Types of services provided by government
- Highlight three ways why government is unable to provide services
- Mention three consequences of poor services
- List three way on how to help government to provide services
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: VALUES IN HOUSE CONSTRUCTION