TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON SOCIAL STUDIES
SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 7
CLASS: PRIMARY 6
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: LABOUR AND TRADE UNION
At the end of this discussion in this Module, children should be able to know:
- Concept of labour and trade union
- Labour is the force employed to get things done in the society
- Labour force in schools
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools
- Lagos State Scheme of Work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Social Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Edudelight Social Studies Text Books for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with religious intolerance in Nigeria.
WORD FILE: society, mechanics, exploitations.
CONTENT OF THE MODULE
CONCEPT OF LABOUR AND TRADE UNION
LABOUR is the force employed to get things done in the society. It is the physical work done for wages. Labour is also called work force. E.g. cleaners, drivers, mechanics.
THE LABOUR FORCE IN THE SCHOOL
- The teachers
- The bosses
- Gate keepers
MEANING OF TRADE UNION
A trade union is an association of workers in an organization protecting and promoting the interest of workers.
Trade union try’s to improve the general welfare of members and to prevent exploitations from employers. E.g. Nigeria labour congress.
TRADE UNION IN NIGERIAN
- Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC): it consists of all other trade unions.
- Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT): it protects the interest of teachers.
- Nigerian Bar Association (NBA): this association protects the lawyers in the country.
- Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ): this union protects and promotes the interest of journalists in the country.
- Nigerian Medical Association (NMA):
it promotesthe interest of doctors in Nigeria.
FUNCTIONS OF TRADE UNION
- To improve the general welfare of members and to prevent exploitation from employers.
- To improve the working conditions of members and seek better condition of service.
- To prevent violation and protect the rights of employee from their employers.
- To speak as one voice on behalf of their members.
- To call their employers to order whenever there is need for it.
- To ensure its members enjoy better wages and benefits in the place of work.
- They act as the mediator between their members and employers.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE IN NIGERIA).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (LABOUR AND TRADE UNION)
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- what is labour and trade union
- list three Labour forces in schools
- trade union in Nigerian
- functions of trade union
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE IN NIGERIA