TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON COMPUTER STUDIES/ INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: COMPUTER STUDIES
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION AND CONCEPT
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 45 MINUTES
TOPIC: COMPONENT OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
- Meaning of hard ware.
- Meaning of software.
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Explain the term hardware.
- Explain the term software.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- System unit
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Computer Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Computer Studies for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with.
WORD FILE: hardware,processing,information.
COMPONENT OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
A computer consist of four main components:
- Hard ware
- Data and
Hardware means anything that can be touched or hold.
Computer hardware are the parts of computer that can be seen and touched. They comprises the electronic, mechanical parts and physical parts of a computer system. Computer hardware are connected together to control computer operation like giving inputs, getting outputs and storing the necessary information. Examples are keyboard, mouse, speaker, monitor, central processing unit, hard disk, cables, connectors, printer, power supply units, processor, etc.
FEATURES OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
Computer hardware features are:
- Computer hardware can be felt.
- It can be touched.
- It can be seen.
PARTS OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
Computer hardware are grouped into the following:
- Input device: these are computer parts through which data is sent into the computer. Examples are Keyboard, Joystick, scanner, stylus pen, webcam, light pen, etc.
- Output devices: these are parts that display the result of process data. Examples are speaker, printer, monitor, etc.
- System unit: it processes all the data entered into the computer. The central processing unit (CPU) is the brain of the computer system. The components are the Cpu and motherboard.
- Storage devices: these are parts used for storing data in electronic form. Examples are Hard disk, cd/dvd, zip disk.
Meaning of computer software
A software is a program that we can see but we cannot touch them. Just like watching a television programme. We see and hear the sound from the television but we cannot touch the people acting the programme. Examples of television programmes are Tom and Jerry, etc.
Software are set of instruction that tells the hardware of the computer what to do.
Computer software is a set of program or instructions that direct the hardware on what to do, how to do and when to do it.
A computer software can direct the hardware of the computer to do the following:
- Process a series of data to give information.
- Store data information on a disk.
- Perform an arithmetic and logic calculation.
- Print a report.
- Display a picture on the computer monitor.
TYPES OF SOFTWARE
Computer software are classified into two categories namely:
- System software: System software’s are set of programs that controls the computer system. It ensures that all other computer software and computer hardware function properly. Examples are operating system, utility software, translator.
- Application software: this is the software that enables the computer user to perform a specific tasks. Examples are word processing software (Microsoft word, notepad), computer games and graphic software (corel draw, photoshop), vlc media player, Adobe dream weaver, Accounting software. Application software can also be called application or app.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (COMPUTER SYSTEMS).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: Components of the computer system.
- She/he explains the term computer hardware and computer software.
- He/she explains
featuresof computer Hardwareand software.
- Teacher leads pupils to mention parts of computer Hardware.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES: student were ask to define computer hardware and computer software.
- Hardware means what?
- What are Computer Hardware and computer software?
- List three features of computer Hardware.
- Mention three parts of computer hardware.
CONCLUSION: the teacher sum up the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: COMPUTER SYSTEMS
NEXT LESSON: Components of computer system