SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 9
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: NATURAL DISASTER
- MEANING OF NATURAL AND UNNATURAL DISASTERS
- CAUSES OF NATURAL DISASTER
- CAUSES OF UNNATURAL DISASTER (MAN)
- EFFECT OF NATURAL DISASTERS ON LIVES AND PROPERTY
- HOW TO CONTROL UNNATURAL DISASTERS
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Know the meaning of natural and unnatural disasters
- Know the causes of natural disaster
- Know the causes of unnatural disaster (man)
- Know the effect of natural disasters on lives and property
- Know how to control unnatural disasters
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Whiteboard/ Chalkboard
- Explanatory posters
- Explanatory pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work
- Online Materials.
- Social Studies Text Books for Primary Schools
MEANING OF NATURAL AND UNNATURAL DISASTERS
Natural disaster is great loss and misfortune that happens unexpectedly. Natural disasters are not caused by man.
Examples are earthquake, flood.
Unnatural disasters are caused by man and animal carelessness. E.g. road accident, plane crash
CAUSES OF NATURAL DISASTER
- Heavy rains
- Overflowing rivers
- Climate change and global warming.
CAUSES OF UNNATURAL DISASTER (MAN)
- Plane crash
- Sinking ship
- Motor accident
- Blocked drainage
- Through epidemics
EFFECT OF NATURAL DISASTERS ON LIVES AND PROPERTY
- Severe injuries
- Loss of life
- Loss of property
- loss of homes
- loss of jobs
- destruction of farmland
- loss of communication and transport
- economic loss
HOW TO CONTROL UNNATURAL DISASTERS
- ensure motor vehicles are in good condition
- road maintenance
- proper discharge channel to control flood
- ensure aircraft are in good condition
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
Learners are asked:
- What is a natural disaster?
- List three forms of disaster
- Identify three causes of disasters
- List three effect of disasters on life and properties.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.