TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON COMPUTER STUDIES/ INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: COMPUTER STUDIES
THEME: COMPUTER APPRECIATION
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 9
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 45 MINUTES
TOPIC: MAINFRAME COMPUTER
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Mention the classification of computer by purpose.
- Identify special and general purpose computer.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Computer Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Computer Studies for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students have been taught classification of computer by purpose.
WORD FILE: classified , simultaneously, massive.
CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY SIZE
Computer are classified based on their sizes. These are:
- super computer
- mainframe computer
- minicomputer and
SIZE: Mainframe computer are very large and expensive computer.
SPEED: Mainframe computer accept hundreds or thousands of user simultaneously. They are in one way superior and more powerful than super computers because they can support more programs simultaneously with users handling massive amount of input, output and storage processes. They can execute a single program faster than mainframe computers.
USAGE: they are used in banks and big business organization like in JAMB, WAEC, NECO. Etc.
SIZE: they are not easily seen in most public’s places because of their size and the cost. They are very expensive.
Speed: It can perform hundreds of millions of instructions per second.so, they are the fastest and most powerful types of computer.
Usage: they are used for performing specialized applications, which require immense mathematical calculations. It is used in universities, research institutes, government agencies, large business enterprises, meteorology department for weather forecasting, in animation, fluid dynamics, calculation, petroleum exploration, nuclear research, etc.
SIZE: they are small/medium size both in size and performance.
Speed: it does the same work as super computer and mainframe computer at a lower speed. it is also a multiprocessing system and it can support 4 – 200 user simultaneously.
Usage: they are used as network servers and internet servers with the help of multiple terminal. They are used in universities, polytechnics, and organizations like Banks, internet service companies. Minicomputer are easier to use.
SIZE: they are the smallest and least expensive of all computers.
SPEED: They possess the smallest memory and less power. These computer permit only fewer peripherals to be attached as they are relatively smaller in size.
USAGE: They are known and used as personal computer or pc. Examples are the desktop computer, laptop computer, palmtop, tablets, etc.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY PURPOSE).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: MAINFRAME COMPUTERS.
- She/he explains mainframe computer based on its size, speed and usage.
- Teacher leads pupils to explain mainframe computer based on its size, speed and usage
- . STUDENT ACTIVITIES: student will be asked to explain mainframe computer based on its size, speed and usage.
- explain mainframe computer based on its size, speed and usage
CONCLUSION: the teacher sum up the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BASED ON PURPOSE
NEXT LESSON: SUPER COMPUTER