Traditional Apprenticeship System
TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON CULTURAL AND CREATIVE
SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE
THEME: CUSTOMS AND TRADITION
NAME OF TEACHER:
TERM: SECOND TERM
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: Traditional Apprenticeship System
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- State the meaning of apprenticeship system;
- List the objectives of the apprenticeship system;
- List some trades where apprenticeship is practiced.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with Role – play.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Cultural and Creative Arts (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Cultural and Creative Arts for Primary Schools.
WORD FILE: Apprenticeship,training, ceremony.
MEANING OF Apprenticeship System
Apprenticeship system is the system whereby someone is trained to learn a skill or trade from an expert over an agreed period of time. The time could be for months or years without a salary but is given stipend or food by the master.
The person learning is called an apprentice while the expert or trainer is called a master. Some apprentice live with their master while some don’t. After the completion of training, the apprentice is free to start his own or can be employed by his master after is training ceremony.
OBJECTIVES OF APPRENTICESHIP SYSTEM
The following are some objectives of apprenticeship system.
- To earn a living.
- To provide learning opportunities for young men and women in various crafts and trades in a way so that they can have full practical training in a particular skill.
- To establish workshops and training shops from the skilled acquired.
- To contribute to community development by making the skill and knowledge benefit the community.
- To reduce unemployment of youth.
- Provision of job to those trained in the apprenticeship system.
TRADES WHERE APPRENTICESHIP SYSTEM TO PRACTICED
Apprenticeship system can be practiced in the following trades:
- Jewelry making
- Mechanic work
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (Roleplay).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: Traditional Apprenticeship System
- He/she explains the meaning of Traditional Apprenticeship System.
- The teacher mentions some objectives of the apprenticeship system
- The teacher leads pupils to mention three trades where the apprenticeship system is practised.
- The pupils copy and submit their note for marking.
- Mention three trades where apprenticeship system is practiced.
Instruction: Answer the following questions below.
- What meaning of Traditional Apprenticeship System?
- Mention three objectives of the apprenticeship system
- Mention three trades where
apprenticeshipsystem is practiced.
PREVIOUS LESSON: Role – play.
NEXT LESSON: Types and importance of apprenticeship system.