TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
SUBJECT: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
TERM: SECOND TERM
THEME: GAMES AND SPORT
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: TABLE TENNIS
- The history of table tennis in Nigeria.
- Facilities and equipment of table tennis.
- Drawing and Labelling of table tennis board with dimensions.
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know about:
- Narrate the history of table tennis in Nigeria.
- Identify the facilities and equipment of table tennis
- Draw and Label the table tennis board with the right dimensions
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Physical and Health Education.
- Edudelight Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with Hockey.
WORD FILE: originated, association, international, federation.
HISTORY OF TABLE TENNIS IN NIGERIA
Table tennis originated from the East. It has been called many names such as: indoor Tennis, Cossima, Whiff –waff and ping pong by the Chinese. The name Table tennis was introduced by the parker brothers. The English table tennis association was formed 1923. The international table tennis federation was formed in 1926 and Nigeria table tennis federation was formed in1951.
The sport was introduced to Nigeria by the British administrators and Christian missionaries during the colonial rule. It is an indoor game played with racket or bat by both male and female on a rectangular table. Players can be single that is one against one or double that is two against two. The game is played for both competitions and recreation.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT OF TABLE TENNIS
- The table
- The bats
- The net supports
- The net
- The canvas shoes
- The towel
REQUIREMENT FOR TABLE TENNIS PLAYER
- Co –ordination
- Knowledge of the rules of the game
- Physical strength
VALUES OF TABLE TENNIS
- It develops physical fitness
- It used for fun and enjoyment
- For recreation
- for entertainment
- for professionalism
- it develops skills
SKILLS IN TABLE TENNIS
Some of the fundamental skills in table tennis are:
- The grip
- Serve or service
- The court positioning an stance
- The forehand stroke
- The backhand stroke
- The lobs
- The half volley
- The drop shot
- The push shot
- The top spin
- The smash
THE RULES AND REGULATIONS IN TABLE TENNIS
- A player must not distract the attention of his opponent.
- A player must not intentionally wet the ball before serving
- The ball must be shown as service is delivered.
- Opponent must be ready before service is delivered.
- The ball must bounce once before it is returned
- No part of the body is allowed to touch the table during play.
- The ball must not hit twice consecutively to get it over the net.
- If the bat drops, the palm cannot be used to return the ball.
- The hand must not be placed on the table when making return.
- A served ball that touches the net and drops on the receiver’s side of the table is a let and shall be reserved.
- A served ball that touches the net and drops at the server’s side of the tables is a point to the receiver.
- A served ball must touch the server’s side of the table before the opponent’s side of the table.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (HOCKEY).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (TABLE TENNIS).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- Learners practice how to play table tennis
Teacher ask the learners to:
- What is table tennis?
- Narrate the history of table tennis.
- Mention four skills in table tennis.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: HOCKEY
NEXT LESSON: MAINTENANCE OF FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT