TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
SUBJECT: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
TERM: SECOND TERM
THEME: GAMES AND SPORT
WEEK: WEEK 1
CLASS: PRIMARY 5/6
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
- The history of hockey in Nigeria.
- facilities and equipment of hockey
- drawing and Labelling of hockey board with dimensions
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know about:
- Narrate the history of hockey in Nigeria.
- Identify the facilities and equipment of hockey
- Draw and Label the hockey board with the right dimensions
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Physical and Health Education.
- Edudelight Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with Basketball.
WORD FILE: skaters, formation, administrators, Federation.
Hockey is a game that is played on an open field; two opposing teams use curved sticks try to drive a ball into the opponents’ net (field Hockey). it is also A game played on an ice rink by two opposing teams of six skaters each who try to knock a flat round puck into the opponents’ goal with angled sticks(Ice Hockey)
We have Field Hockey and ice Hockey
HISTORY OF HOCKEY IN NIGERIA
Hockey started far back 4000 years in Egypt, India. The first hockey club in the world was the Black heath hockey club in 1862 before the formation of hockey association in 1886. Since then, hockey game have prospered and developed in both men’s and women’s game.
Modern hockey started from Great Britain. It became an Olympic sport for men in 1908 and for women in 1980. Hockey sport was introduced to Nigeria by the British administrators and Christian missionaries during the colonial rule. The game of Hockey was first played in Lagos in 1928. The governing body of Field Hockey in Nigeria is called The Nigeria Hockey Federation (NHF)
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT OF HOCKEY
- Rectangular hockey pitch with length of 91.40 cm and a width of 55m.
- Two goal post
- Hard ball (hockey ball)
- Hockey stick
- Hockey shoes
- Hockey socks
- Knee pads
- Shoulder pads
- Throat protector
- Elbow pads
- Protective cup
- Hockey player helmets
HOCKEY OFFICIALS AND DUTIES
An umpire: it is the person with the authority to make decisions on a hockey pitch. These umpire can also be called field umpire
Reserve umpire: they serve as a backup in the event of injury or other issue.
Video Umpire: this umpires control the match, apply the rule of hockey, keep the game safe, and be the judges. He is the only one allowed to award penalty, corner, and give penalty cards to players.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (BASKETBALL).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (HOCKEY).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- Learners practice how to play hockey
Teacher ask the learners to:
- What is hockey?
- Narrate the history of hockey.
- Mention four skills in hockey.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: BASKETBALL
NEXT LESSON: TABLE TENNIS