SUBJECT: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
THEME: PROCESSES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 10
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TOPIC: WHY FARM PRODUCE SHOULD BE PROCESSED
- Meaning of farm produce.
- Importance of food processing.
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to know about:
- The Meaning of farm produce.
- The Importance of food processing
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Samples of soil
- Whiteboard/ Chalkboard
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: the students are familiar with process of making compost.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for Primary Schools.
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Agricultural Science (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Agricultural Science Scheme of Work
- Edudelight Agricultural Science for Primary Schools.
WORD FILE: product, grinding.
MEANING OF FARM PROCESSING
It is the process of turning raw food into eatable food and other product.
The processes can be the following:
- Sun drying
PROCESS OF PROCESSING CASSAVA INTO GARRI
- The farmer will harvest the cassava from his/her farmland.
- The cassava tubers will peeled
- Then the cassava will be wash and taken to a machine for grinding.
- After grinding it.
- It will be taken to another machine for removal of water.
- After the removal of water
- It will fried using heat(fire)
- Then we will have garri
IMPORTANCE OF FOOD PROCESSING
- It improve usage of food.
- Improves food value
- Removal of poisonous agents from the food.
- Helps in storage of food
- Provide employment
- Provide source of income
- It enables us to get different kinds of food from a farm produce.
- It make transporting of produce easy.
Importance of food processing
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (PROCESS OF MAKING COMPOST).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (WHY FARM PRODUCE SHOULD BE PROCESSED).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- Learners identify process and unprocessed food.
- Define farm produce.
- List three Importance of food processing
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: PROCESS OF MAKING COMPOST
NEXT LESSON: preservation of farm produce