TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
SUBJECT: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: GAMES AND SPORT
WEEK: WEEK 8
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
- The history of basketball in Nigeria.
- facilities and equipment of basketball
- drawing and Labelling of basketball ball court
At the end of this discussion in this unit, students should be able to know about:
- Narrate the history of basketball in Nigeria.
- Identify the facilities and equipment of basketball
- Draw and Label the basketball court with the right dimensions
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Physical and Health Education.
- Edudelight Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with High jump.
WORD FILE: missionaries, administrators, popular, sideline.
HISTORY OF BASKETBALL IN NIGERIA
BASKETBALL started from United States of America in 1891. It was invented by Dr, James a Naismith.it is the number one game in America and is very popular all over the world. The sport was introduced to Nigeria by the British administrators and missionaries during the colonial rule.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT OF BASKETBALL
- The game is played on a standard court of 28 by 15 metres. The long sides of the court are called sideline while the short sides are called base line or back line.
- The centre circle is located in the middle of the centre line. There are two other circles in addition to the centre circle on end of the court.
- The equipment consist of the back boards which are made of wood or transparent material called fiberglass and are situated at the centre of both end lines above the floor.
- The iron rings are attached to the backboards, and their diameters are 45cm each.
- The ball is made of leather rubber and the diameter is 75 to 78cm with a weight of 567 to 640 gram.
- The whistle
- The ball
- The stop watches
- The vest with numbers ranging from 4 to 15
- The baskets
- The scoreboard
- The basketball shoes
- The basket boards and rings
- The playing court.
SKILLS IN BASKET BALL
Some of the skills in basketball are:
- Passing and catching
- The dribbling
- The footwork
- The individual offence
- The individual defense
REQUIREMENTS FOR BASKET BALLERS
- Good height
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (FIELD EVENTS – HIGH JUMP).
- The Teacher introduces the topic (BASKETBALL).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- Learners practice how to play basketball
Teacher ask the learners to:
- What is basketball.
- Narrate the history of basketball.
- Mention four skills in basketball.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: HIGH JUMP
NEXT LESSON: FOOTBALL