SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK TWO
THEME: YOU AND TECHNOLOGY
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
TIME: 40 MINUTES EACH
- Identification of Materials
- Types of Materials
- Uses of Materials
- Uses of wood
- Uses of Metals
- Uses of Plastics
At the end of this module, Pupils should be able to:
- Identify materials used in technology.
- list types of wood
- State the types of Metals and Plastic.
- State what these materials are used for.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Online Materials.
- Basic Science and Technology for Primary schools
A material is the tangible substance from which a thing is made or produced.
IDENTIFICATION OF MATERIALS
A material can be defined as item used in making what we need for our daily Activities, like building construction, industrial processes etc.
Using the class room as a case study. Items like lockers, roof, dust bins, chair are all made from different classes of materials.
The three Major Classes of Materials are:
Other materials are rubber, ceramic etc.
TYPES OF WOOD, METALS AND PLASTIC
Wood is a material gotten from trees. It is used in making chairs, table, furniture, and building of houses.
Types of Wood: The two types of wood are:
- Hard Wood: they are heavy and dark in colours. e.g Timber tress like obeche, teak, mahogany and iroko.
- Soft wood: They are lighter and easier to work on. E.g. shrubs, red wood, pine, larch.
Metals are natural materials found in rocks .they are tough and hard solids. They are good conductors of electricity.
Types of Metals: The two types of metals are:
- Ferrous Metal: they contain iron, steel, and are magnetic.
- Non- Ferrous Metal: they don’t contain iron. E.g. aluminum, copper and gold.
Plastics are materials produced from crude oil (petroleum). they are light, they don’t rust.
Types of Plastics:
- Thermoplastic: it can melt when heated and be re-moulded into new shape after being hardened. E.g. polythene bags, nylon, plastic, buckets, plates and spoons.
- Thermosetting or Thermoset Plastics: they cannot be re-moulded after been hardened. E.g. electric switches, sockets and lamp holders.
USES OF MATERIALS
Materials can be used in several ways.
USES OF WOOD
- For cooking in a local kitchen
- Making chairs, tables and all forms of furniture
- paper making
- Building and road Construction
- Electric poles
- some tool handles
- Matchsticks etc.
USES OF METALS
- For making sheet/furniture
- Construction of house, road etc.
- To generate electricity
- Building cars, ships
- Security doors and Gate
- Food cans
USES OF PLASTICS
- Making cups, plates.
- Making Buckets, Jerry cans.
- Floor tiles.
- Electric socket and switches.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- What is the Meaning of Materials?
- Identify three materials
- List three uses of woods, plastics and metal materials.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.