TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON SOCIAL STUDIES
SUBJECT: SOCIAL STUDIES
THEME: HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 12
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
NAME OF TEACHER:
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: NATURAL RESOURCES
At the end of this Unit, Pupils should be able to know:
- What are natural resources?
- Some of the natural resources.
- Raw material.
- How natural resources are obtained.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Different Nigeria currency
- Whiteboard/ chalkboard
- Interactive poster
- Interactive video
- Questions and Answers
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary school.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools four Social Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Edudelight Social Studies TextBooks for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: the students are familiar with employment.
WORD FILE: potential, material.
Natural resources are Resources (actual and potential) supplied by nature. They are things provided by God to us, so that we can use them to produce what we need.
SOME NATURAL RESOURCES
- Agricultural farm product like cocoa, oranges,
- Animals and birds
- Minerals like crude oil, tin
RAW MATERIAL: it is a material that can be used to form new things. I.e. palm oil is a material for soap.
RAW MATERIALS AVAILABLE IN NIGERIA
- Crude oil;
- Palm kernel;
- Soya beans;
- Hides and skin, etc.
HOW RAW MATERIALS ARE OBTAINED
- Groundnut is obtained from groundnut tubers.
- Cocoa is obtained from cocoa pod.
- Crude oil is obtained from the soil
- Palm kernel is obtain from palm fruit.
- Cotton is obtained from cotton tree.
- Timber is obtained from wood.
- Maize is obtained from maize stalk.
- Soya beans obtained from soya seed.
- Cassava from cassava tuber.
- Limestone’s from the soil.
- Gold is obtained from the soil.
- Iron is obtained from the soil.
- Coal is obtained from the soil.
- Rubber is obtained from rubber tree
- Hides and skin is obtained from animals
WHAT MATERIALS ARE USED FOR
- Groundnut is used for producing peanut.
- Cocoa is used for beverages.
- Crude oil is used for fuel.
- Palm oil is used in soap making.
- Cotton is used for cloth making
- Timber is used for making doors and windows.
- Soya beans is used for forage and soil improvement and as food
- Cassava is used for garri.
- Limestone is used for cement.
- Gold is used for jewelries, rings, etc.
- Iron is used for metals
- Coal is used for cooking
- Rubber is used for shoes.
- Hides and skin is used for drums.
IMPORTANCE OF RAW MATERIAL
- They make products that are produced cheaper.
- They bring in foreign exchange when exported.
- They create jobs for people.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (EMPLOYMENT)
- The Teacher introduces the topic (NATURAL RESOURCES)
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Learners participate in the class discussion
- What are natural resources?
- Mention three natural resources in Nigeria.
- What are Raw materials?
- List ways raw materials are obtained
- Mention three ways by which raw materials are used?
- List three importance of raw materials.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: EMPLOYMENT
NEXT LESSON: NATURAL RESOURCES