TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TERM: FIRST TERM
THEME: YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT
WEEK: WEEK 1
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
NAME OF TEACHER:
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
TIME: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: CHANGES CAUSE BY HUMAN ACTIVITIES (POLLUTION) –WATER POLLUTION
- Meaning and types of pollution
- Water pollution
- Effect of water pollution
- Prevention of water pollution
At the end of this lesson, Pupils should be able to:
- Define pollution.
- Define water pollution
- State the effect of pollution
- Know how to prevent water pollution
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures showing water pollution.
- Explanatory videos on water pollution.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answer
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of Work for Basic Science and Technology.
- Unified Schemes of Work for Lagos State Primary Schools (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Online Materials.
- Edudelight Basic Science and Technology for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE: Review of last term work.
WORD FILE: Water pollution,Atmospheric,contaminates.
Pollution are Waste matter that contaminates the water, air or soil. It make our environment unsafe for plant and animals. Pollutant are in solid, liquid and gaseous forms.
TYPES OF POLLUTION
The three major type of pollution are:
- Water pollution (dirt)
- Air pollution (smoke) or Atmospheric pollution
- Noise pollution (sound)
CAUSES AND SOURCES OF WATER POLLUTION
- Dumping of human faeces.
- Bathing in the river or Stream.
- Washing in the Stream.
- Dumping of dead animals.
- Leakage of oil tanks and pipes into rivers.
- Liquid waste released into water.
- Untreated sewage
- Throwing of sewage into the river.
Effect of Water Pollution
- Spillage of oils into rivers or streams restricts the breathing of water plants and animals.
- Lead to Dysentery
- Causes Cholera
- Causes Typhoid fever
- Kills living organisms in water
- Gives water bad odour.
CONTROL OF WATER POLLUTION
- Dumping of refuse into rivers and streams should not be allowed.
- Oil spillage should be avoided.
- Dumping of industrial waste should be avoided.
- People should be enlighten about the dangers of drinking polluted water.
- Encouragement of environmental cleanup.
- Use of chemicals to catch fish should discourage.
- Government should bring active policies on the control of water pollution.
- The Teacher introduces the lesson through question and answer (Water pollution).
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- The Teacher write the note on the board.
Learners participate in the class discussion
Teacher ask the learners to:
- Define pollution
- Mention the types of pollution.
- Define Water pollution.
- List three Effect of water pollution.
- State three ways to Prevent water pollution.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: POLLUTION
NEXT LESSON: AIR POLLUTION