TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
THEME: Performing Arts and Entertainment
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 2
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: Musical Instrument and sounds – Foreign musical instrument
- Definition of foreign musical instrument.
- Musical instrument in our locality.
- Methods of sounds production.
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Identify and name some foreign musical instruments.
- Explain the production of sounds.
- Explain the differences in the production of sounds.
- Play some foreign Musical instrument.
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Drawing book
- Different colours
- Art works
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
Entry Behaviour: the students have been taught still life drawing.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Cultural and Creative Arts (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Cultural and Creative Arts for Primary Schools.
WORD FILE: Foreign, musical, instrument
Meaning of foreign Musical instrument
Foreign Musical instrument are instrument that are not made locally in Nigeria and is used to produce good musical sounds and songs. Foreign musical instrument can also be called western musical instruments.
These instruments can be played by one or more person.
When a single person played the musical instrument it is called a solo.
When a particular instrument is played by two people, it is called a Duet.
When three people lay, it is called a trio.
When four people play, it is called a quartet.
When eight people played it is called octet.
When more people play the same kind of instrument, it is called an ensemble.
There is brass ensemble, string ensemble and clarinet ensemble. When all the different instruments come together in their numbers to play, it is called an Orchestra.
Types of Foreign musical Instrument
The different types of foreign musical instruments are grouped in four categories. Namely:
- String instrument: it is a tightly stretched cord of wire or gut, which makes sound when plucked, struck, or bowed. They depend on the vibration of strings to produce sounds. Examples of bowed instruments are cello, double brass, violin, viola. Examples of plucked stringed instruments are Guitar, lute, zither, banjo, lyre, harp.
- Wind instruments: it is a musical instrument in which the sound is produced by an enclosed column of air that is moved by the breath. They depend on the column of air to produce sound. They are divided into two. These are woodwind and brass instruments. Examples are recorder, flute, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, trombone.
- Percussion Instruments: it is a musical instrument in which the sound is produced by one object striking another. They are struck or shaken to produce sound. Examples are conga drum, rattles, maracas, tubular, celesta, tubular, triangle, side drum, cymbals, bass drum, tambourine, xylophone, timpani (Kettle drum).
- Keyboards: It consist of different keys. They produce sounds by pressing on the keys. Examples of keyboards are piano, organ, accordion, clavichord, harmonium, melodeon, spinet.
Sound production from foreign musical instruments
Some instrument produced sounds by blowing air into them. These are brass instrument and blowing instruments. Brass instruments are trombone, trumpet, euphonium, tuba, baritone, horn. Examples of wood instruments are flute, clarinet, recorder, oboe, bassoon, piccolo, saxophone. Etc.
String instrument produce sounds by using a bow. Examples are viola, violin, cello. Some instrument are picked or played with the use of a pick like guitar.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (musical instrument and sounds – Local instrument).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: Musical Instrument and sounds – Foreign musical instrument
- He/she define foreign musical instrument deeply to the pupils.
- He/she mention different foreign musical instrument according to their sounds.
- He/she guide the student on how to make some foreign musical instrument to make a sound.
- The teacher leads the pupils to mention different foreign musical instrument.
- The pupils copy and submit their note for marking.
- Student tries to identify various foreign instruments on the teachers table. EVALUATIVE ACTIVITIES
Instruction: Answer the following questions below.
- What is foreign musical instrument?
- Mention three names of is foreign musical instrument.
- List the categories of foreign musical instruments.
PREVIOUS LESSON: musical instrument and sounds – Local Instrument.
NEXT LESSON: musical instrument and sounds III