TITLE: LESSON NOTE ON CHRISTIAN RELIGION STUDIES
SUBJECT: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
TERM: SECOND TERM
WEEK: WEEK 11
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: The Death on The Cross
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- The importance of Jesus laying down his life for us.
TEACHINNG AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- The Holy Bible
- My Book Of Bible Stories
- The Holy Bible.
- My Book of Bible Stories.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Christian religious studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Online Materials.
- Nigeria Educational Research and Development Council scheme (NERDC)
- Edudelight Christian Religious Studies for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with sacrifice involved in Jesus giving his life for us.
Memory verse: John 1:29
Bible references: John 15: 13 – 14, john 3:16; Mathew 26 : 47 – 54; luke 23: 13 – 46
JESUS DEATH ON THE CROSS
When Pilate released Jesus to the people. He was led away to be killed on the cross. They ceased a man called Simon, a native of Cyrene and made him carry the cross behind Jesus. Jesus told the women crying for him not to weep. Jesus was crucified with two criminals at the place called skull. There Jesus ask God to forgive the people “father forgive them, for they know not what they do,” the ruler and the soldiers mocked and was given vinegar to drink. One of the thief was also mocking Jesus saying he could not save himself while the other thief shun the other one and said Jesus was innocent. And he told Jesus to remember him ibn his kingdom. Jesus replied and said to him “truly, I say to you today, you will be with me in paradise.”
There was darkness over the whole land for three hour. The curtain of the temple was also torn into two. Then Jesus cried with a loud voice saying “father, into thy hands I commit my spirit” then he died.
The importance of Jesus laying down his life for us.
- To save us from sin and death.
- To bring us into eternal life.
- To reconcile us with God.
Prayers: thank you Jesus for giving your life for us on the cross.
- The Teacher revises the previous term lessons (Sacrifice involved in Jesus giving his life for us).
- Teacher leads the pupils to understand the death on the cross.
- Teacher leads pupils to mention the importance of Jesus laying down his life for us.
- Explains the arrest of Jesus.
- Explains the trials and suffering of Jesus.
- Mention the importance of Jesus laying down his life for us.
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: Jesus gives his life for us on the cross
NEXT LESSON: the death on the cross.