SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMIC – PROCESS OF BASIC STITCHES
TERM: THIRD TERM
WEEK: WEEK 4
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
DURATION: 40 MINUTES
TOPIC: PROCESS OF BASIC STITCHES
- process of back stitches
- uses of temporary and permanent stitches
At the end of this discussion in this unit, children should be able to know:
- process of back stiches
- uses of temporary and permanent stiches
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
- High quality Needle
- Straight pin
- Tailors chalk
- Marking pencil
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
- Questions and answers
- Practical in the school Home economic Laboratory
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum.
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum (UBE)
- Lagos State Home Economic Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Home Economics for Primary Schools.
PROCESS OF MAKING BACK STITCHES
This is a long hand stitch that can be used in place of straight machine stitch.
HOW TO MAKE BACK STITCHES
The following are ways to make back stitches:
- Fasten on the thread
- Take one long running stitch
- Take a stitch back, then bring the needle out again in a little way along the seam line
- Repeat it again until your desire length
USES OF TEMPORARY STITCHES
Temporary stitches hold pieces of fabric together temporarily and they are removed as soon as they have served their purposed.
Temporary stitches are used to
- To hold side seam
- To make gather on fabrics
- To hold materials in position temporarily
USES OF PERMANENT STITCHES
- It can be used as decorative stitches
- It can be used to sew fabric permanently
- It can be used to hold down garment hem
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson.
- The Teacher introduces the topic.
- The Teacher explains the lessons.
- Explain the process of back stitches
- Mention three uses of temporary and permanent stitches
CONCLUSION: the teacher summarize the lesson.