TITLE: NOTE OF LESSON ON COMPUTER STUDIES/ INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: COMPUTER STUDIES
THEME: COMPUTER APPRECIATION
TERM: FIRST TERM
WEEK: WEEK 8
CLASS: PRIMARY 5
AGE OF STUDENTS:
CLASS COMPOSITION: Slow and fast learners.
DURATION: 45 MINUTES
TOPIC: CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY SIZE
At the end of this Module, Pupils should be able to:
- Identify computer by size.
- Mention different sizes of computer
TEACHING AND LEARNING MATERIALS
- Analog computer: thermometer, scale machine, blood pressure measuring machine, car speedometer.
- Digital computers: calculator, digital
- Hybrid Computers: fuel pumping machine pictures, pictures/charts of mainframe, mini, micro, first, second, third, fourth and
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory Video
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHOD
- Questions and Answers
- Universal Basic Education Curriculum.
- NERDC Basic Education Curriculum for primary schools.
- Lagos State Scheme of work
- Unified Schemes of Work Primary Schools for Computer Studies (MIDDLE BASIC)
- Internet Materials.
- Edudelight Computer Studies for Primary Schools.
ENTRY BEHAVIOUR/ PREVIOUS LESSON: The students are familiar with classification of computer by size.
WORD FILE: mainframe, minicomputer, microcomputer.
CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY SIZE
Computer are classified based on their sizes into super computer, mainframe computer, minicomputer and microcomputer.
They are very expensive and are used for performing specialized applications, which require immense mathematical calculations. It can perform hundreds of millions of instructions per second. They are not easily seen in most public’s places because of their size and the cost.
It is used in universities, research institutes, government agencies, large business enterprises, meteorology department for weather forecasting, etc. They are the fastest and most powerful types of computer.
Mainframe computer accept hundreds or thousands of user simultaneously. They are in one way superior and more powerful than super computers because they can support more programs simultaneously with users handling massive amount of input, output and storage processes. They can execute a single program faster than mainframe computers.
They are midsized computer both in size and performance. It has multiple terminals by which it can be utilized as network server and internet server.it is also a multiprocessing system and it can support 4 – 200 user simultaneously. Minicomputer are easier to use.
They are known as personal computer or pc, they are the smallest and least expensive of all computers. They possess the smallest memory and less power. These computer permit only fewer peripherals to be attached as they are relatively smaller in size.
Examples are the desktop computer, laptop computer, palmtop, tablets, etc.
- The Teacher revises the previous lesson (CLASSIFICATION OF
COMPUTER BASEDON TYPE).
- The Teacher introduces the topic: CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY SIZE.
- She/he explains different computer by size.
- Teacher leads pupils to mention the differences between
super computer, mainframe computer, minicomputer, and microcomputer.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES: student were ask to mention the differences between super computer, mainframe computer, minicomputer, and microcomputer
- Define the super computer, mainframe computer, minicomputer, and microcomputer.
- Mention the differences between mention the differences between super computer, mainframe computer, minicomputer, and microcomputer.
CONCLUSION: the teacher sum up the lesson.
PREVIOUS LESSON: CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BASED ON TYPE
NEXT LESSON: CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER BY GENERATIONS